Oats are my go-to breakfast. In the summertime I eat cold overnight oats and in the winter I take a jar full of oats, flax, seeds + spices and use the hot water from the water cooler at work to cook them. They are so easy and delicious. But mostly its because they’re easy. I wake up for work at 4:30am so having something that is easy to grab and take to work and will keep me full is really important.
My current oat flavor obsession is golden milk. Golden milk is super trendy right now- mostly in latte form- and for good reason. It tastes amazing and contains a solid dose of turmeric- an earthy, vibrant spice shown to reduce inflammation.
My version of golden milk adds cardamom to the classic turmeric, cinnamon + ginger combination plus a tiny pinch of black pepper which boosts turmerics bioavailability by 300%!
I like to sweeten my oat bowl with a bit of maple syrup, but any sweetener will work just fine. You could even throw a couple dates in at the beginning of the cooking process and let them sweeten the oats as everything cooks.
For toppings, the sky is the limit. Lately I’ve been using chopped apple and pumpkin seeds, but you can use any fruit + nut combo you have on hand.
Golden Milk Oat Bowl
- 2/3 Cup Quick Oats*
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Plant Milk I use coconut
- 1/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cardamom
- Pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Toppings of choice
- Combine oats, flax, spices, milk and water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Transfer into a bowl and add your toppings. Enjoy!
- Cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes or until the oats have absorbed the liquid. Add vanilla off heat and maple syrup to taste.
- Transfer into a bowl and add your toppings. Enjoy!
Let me know if you like this recipe and if there is anything you’d like to request a recipe for in the comments!