I love a solid one pan meal. Doesn’t everyone? The fewer dishes I need to wash at the end of my day the better. Actually that’s not true because my husband usually does the cleaning, but still- this is the perfect weeknight dinner. I always have the ingredients required on hand and its a true crowd pleaser.
I’ve made this dish a few times lately and have used a different protein source each time. In this version I use superfirm tofu- the kind that comes in vacuum sealed plastic. Its super dense and requires no pressing to use. I’ve also used sriracha baked tofu from Trader Joes which is amazing, but you could use whatever protein you want- seitan Italian sausage, whatever beans you have on hand or even crumbled veggie burgers would all be killer- or leave it out entirely to make this a side dish.
The most important part of this recipe is to let everything sit untouched for 4-5 minutes at a time while cooking. This will make sure everything is getting nicely browned and crispy. Trust me. Step away from the skillet. You will thank me later.
Southwestern Potato Skillet
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 1/2 Package Super Firm Tofu cubed
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Medium Potatoes medium dice (about 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 Bell Pepper small dice
- 1/2 jalapeno finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Fire Roasted Corn
- 1/2 Cup Store-bought Salsa
- In a Large non-stick skillet over medium heat add 1 tsp olive oil and sauté your cubed tofu until its nicely brown, about 3 minutes. Add diced onion and a pinch of salt. Sauté until the onion is brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the 2 remaining teaspoons of oil, then the diced potatoes and all of the spices and the remaining salt and give the pan a toss to combine everything. Turn the heat to medium low and put a lid on the skillet and let cook for 5 minutes without stirring. This is how you will get everything nicely browned. After 5 minutes has passed, remove the lid add the chopped bell pepper and jalapeño, toss the potatoes, put the lid back on and let cook for another 5 minutes. Do this toss and sit method 2 more times for a total of 20 minutes or until potatoes are all the way through.
- Once potatoes are cooked through, add fire roasted corn and salsa tossing to warm everything through.
- Top with more salsa, avocado, nutritional yeast, cilantro, minced jalapeño, chopped cilantro or anything your heart desires.
Let me know how this recipe works out for you and if there is anything you’d like me to make next!