As the weather warms up here in Boston, I start to really crave foods that I associate with summer. To me that means fresh ears of corn, sweet melons, fresh berries, anything grilled, and anything covered in barbecue sauce. This sandwich may not meet a of my summer cravings, but it will satisfy two for now.
If you’ve never tried tofu the is the perfect recipe to ease in to it. Tofu really doesn’t have much flavor, so use your favorite barbecue sauce and thats what its going to taste like. I promise. Its not scary at all. This simple sandwich with please even your pickiest of picky eaters.
The slaw recipe is my base recipe for all slaws. If I want slaw for tacos, I’ll sub lime juice for the vinegar and toss in some chopped cilantro, etc. You can make the slaw the day before so the cabbage can soften a bit and soak up all of the tangy flavor from the slaw dressing.
BBQ Tofu Sandwich with Tangy Red Cabbage Slaw
- For the Slaw:
- 4 Cups thinly sliced red cabbage*
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Black Pepper to taste
- For the Tofu:
- 1 Package of Extra Firm Tofu Sliced into 8 approx. 1/4 inch slices
- 1/3 Cup BBQ sauce plus more for serving
- 4 Hamburger buns for serving
- Combine cabbage, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar in a bowl and stir well to combine. Put in the refrigerator for at least one hour, overnight is cool too.
- Pat the tofu slices dry with a paper towel. Place into a shallow container and top with the BBQ sauce. Let marinade for 30min- 1 hour if you have the time to wait.
- Preheat your grill and turn to medium high heat. Brush the grate of your grill liberally with oil so the tofu won't stick. I use a metal spatula to help me flip the tofu over because it will get below any parts that are stuck. If you are worried about sticking, you can use a piece of aluminum foil that is lightly sprayed with non stick spray. Cook the tofu for about 5 minutes per side or until they have nice grill marks. Remove from the grill and build your sandwiches. I like to have avocado slices, tofu, more BBQ sauce and a heft serving of slaw, but dress then any way you'd like.
Let me know how you liked this recipe and if there is anything you’d like to see me make next!