Pizza is a staple in my house hold. Sometimes, on the weekend, I’ll take the time to make homemade pizza dough, stretch it, parbake it and freeze it for the fastest weeknight dinners imaginable. And sometimes I haven’t done that because life happens so my partner will stop by a local deli and snag some of their house pizza dough. But now, I have another solution. This Weeknight Pizza.
This pizza isn’t your typical pizza. The crust is socca- a traditional French flatbread made of garbanzo bean flour. It isn’t yeasted so there is no rising time or kneading or stretching involved. And since the only flour is garbanzo flour, its completely gluten free and packed with protein. You just mix garbanzo bean flour with water, a pinch of salt and baking powder and that’s it. Socca isn’t traditionally eaten as pizza. Its the perfect accompaniment to a vegetable soup, or to make for a appetizer board with an assortment of spreads and dips. But, it can be pizza. And if it can be pizza, it should be pizza.
This recipe is mainly for the crust and the method. You can put whatever you feel like on top. I used barbecue sauce as the sauce, then topped the ‘za with my 20 Minute BBQ Jackfruit and some chopped broccoli. It was delicious. But use whatever you have on hand. Pretty much everything is good on pizza. Including pineapple. Don’t at me.
A cast iron pan is key for this recipe. If you don’t have one you should! They are amazing. I’m not sure why, but food cooked on cast iron just tastes better. And they give the best sear. Plus, if you have a hard time getting enough iron in your diet, cooking on a cast iron pan will help with that which is crazy but so cool.
I used a 10 inch cast iron for this size recipe, but if all you have is a 12 inch, just bump the garbanzo bean flour and the water up to 1 1/4 cups and add a pinch more salt and keep the baking powder amount the same. You may have to add 5-10 minutes onto the cooking time, but everything else will be the same.
I served my Weeknight Pizza with a fresh and simple green salad with greens straight from my garden. I can’t wait to make this again. Its not often that I find a new weeknight staple, but this pizza is going to sit firmly in the rotation from now on.
- 1 Cup Garbanzo Bean Flour- I like Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Canola Oil
- Toppings: Optional
- 1/4 Cup BBQ sauce
- 1 Recipe BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- 3/4 Cup Broccoli Florets chopped small
- Preheat oven to 425* F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk garbanzo bean flour, baking powder and salt together. Add water and whisk until no lumps remain. The batter should be like runny pancake batter. Set aside at room temperature while you heat up the skillet.
- One the oven is preheated, put a 10” cast iron skillet in for 15 minutes to heat up. After 15 minutes have passed, carefully remove it from the oven and add the canola oil and swirl the pan around until everything is coated with oil. Next, pour all of the batter into the pan and give it a gentle shake to evenly distribute the batter. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add whatever sauce and toppings you desire. Return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Enjoy!
Let me know how you liked this recipe and if there is anything else you’d like to see me make!