Subscribe to receive my Plant-Based Baking Ebook for FREE!

Nourishing plant-based meals + indulgent desserts

Whole Grain Pancakes

Whole Grain Pancakes

I’m not really into cooking elaborate breakfasts. If you follow me on instagram, you’ll know I stick to overnight oats and chia pudding 95% of the time. Lazy level 100. The other 5% tends to be tofu scramble because occasionally I’ll want a savory start to my day. But on a very rare occasion, I’ll feel like whipping up some pancakes. This morning was one of those mornings.

Pancakes are really easy to veganize, and you’ll find loads of recipes for them all over the internet. But from what I’ve seen out there, the vegan pancake world is lacking in a banana free, no blender required pancake recipe.

This recipe is your classic pancake, with the addition of white whole wheat flour, agave in place of sugar, coconut oil rather than butter and skipping the egg all together. You don’t need any fancy ingredients or a blender to be 15 minutes away from fluffy, tender pancakes on your breakfast table.

I chose white whole wheat flour for this recipe. What is white whole wheat flour? It is a whole grain flour milled from white winter wheat berries rather than the traditional whole wheat flour that is milled from hard red winter wheat berries. The result is a whole grain flour that is lighter in color, texture and flavor but with the same nutritional benefits of regular whole wheat flour. My absolute favorite brand of white whole wheat (and all flour for that matter is King Arthur which you can find here. If you can’t find white whole wheat flour, substitute with half whole wheat and half regular all purpose flour or feel free to go with regular old all purpose flour.

Be sure to whisk the coconut oil in quickly and quickly add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients immediately to prevent the coconut oil from solidifying!

Whole Grain Pancakes

Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Course Breakfast
Servings 12 Pancakes

Ingredients
  

  • 1 1/2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour find here
  • 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 1/2 Cups Plant Milk of Choice I used So Delicious brand coconut milk
  • 2 tsp Vinegar I used apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp Agave or other liquid sweetener
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil melted

Instructions
 

  • In a quart sized measuring cup or a small bowl, combine plant milk, vinegar, agave and vanilla. Set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add melted coconut oil into milk mixture while whisking and quickly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined. You know the pancake drill- do not over mix. A few lumps are okay.
  • Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Grease the pan with a little coconut oil or cooking spray. Using a 1/4 cup measure, portion out pancake batter into your pan. Cook as many as you can at a time. Cook until there are small bubbles across the top of your pancake and the bottom side is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Gently flip with a spatula and cook the other side until it is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and repeat until you are out of batter.

Let me know how this recipe worked for you and if there is anything you’d like to see me create a recipe for!


Related Posts

Peanut Butter, Banana Date Muffins

Peanut Butter, Banana Date Muffins

My partner and I just bought a house so were slowly (probably too slowly) getting ready for our big move.  We’re doing a little early spring cleaning, trying to get everything organized so that when we make the move everything will go smoothly and it […]

Farrotto with Peas and Arugula

Farrotto with Peas and Arugula

Its already cold in Boston, so I’m gravitating towards warm, comforting meals. Especially for dinner. I’ve been making lentil stew, chili, soup, polenta (coming soon!), and this Farrotto with Peas and Arugula. If you don’t know what Farrotto is, its very similat to risotto, but […]



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating





Get my Plant-Based Baking eBook for FREE!