You guys. Bananagate is still happening. If you haven't been following along, I have acquired far too many bananas. Too many in the freezer, to many on my counter. So you know the drill by now. Every time I make a banana recipe its because I need to use some overripe bananas up. And these Easy Banana Bread Pancakes are no exception, but they are still exceptional.
I love pancakes. I rarely make them because mornings tend to be hectic. But, on the weekends when time is plentiful and mornings are slow, I love whipping up a batch while sipping my coffee. And since bananas are abundant, easy banana bread pancakes just made sense.
These babies are thick and fluffy with lots of banana flavor throughout. They're also really healthy. Since bananas add sweetness, there is no need for any added sugar. And I opted for whole wheat flour here, partially because I love the flavor of whole wheat and partially because I like to have a pretty healthy breakfast. If I have a crappy breakfast, I tend to feel sluggish the rest of the day. When I have a hearty and healthy breakfast I'm pretty much unstoppable.
There are two important things to nail this recipe. The first one you likely know if you have made pancakes before: don't over mix! Pancakes are really easy to over mix because they don't have much fat in them and they have a lot of liquid. Fat cuts gluten strands and liquid develops them. So, pancake recipes are a prime place for over mixed, tough developed gluten strands. Mix just until the batter has come together. And, resist the urge to whisk out clumps.
The second is to mash the banana really well. The more you mash bananas, the runnier they get. So mash them really well or the batter will be too thick. The batter is quite thick as it is, which us nice thick and fluffy pancakes.
So if you've got a freezer or a counter full of overripe bananas, put them to good use and make some Easy Banana Bread Pancakes on a slow weekend morning.
Easy Banana Bread Pancakes
- 1 ½ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Mashed Banana, mashed really well About 1 ½ -2 bananas
- 1 Cup Plant Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoon Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- Combine plant milk, vinegar or lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl combine mashed banana and peanut butter. Whisk to combine. Add the plant milk mixture to the banana mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour the milk and banana mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combine. Be careful not to over mix!
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with nonstick spray and using a ⅓ cup measure, pour batter onto the skillet, gently spreading the batter out just a bit with the back of the measuring you as you go. Cook as many pancakes at a time as will fit comfortably in your skillet.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until the bottom is browned and you can see small bubble on top. Flip and cook for about 3 minutes more or until the second side is brown.
- Repeat until all the batter is gone.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
Let me know how this recipe worked for you!
Leave a Reply