Every single time I people talk to me about going plant based they say, “it seems pretty easy, but what do I eat for breakfast?”. Every time. Without fail. I’m a sweet breakfast gal so I usually suggest things like oats/overnight oats or PB+ banana toast but for the savory breakfast people, these options don’t cut it. So this one is for you, savory breakfast people: Easy Tofu + Veggie Scramble.
This is my go-to tofu + veggie scramble for a weekend breakfast or to meal prep breakfast. Its quick, nutritious and most importantly its delicious. I love to serve it with roasted potatoes or toast and some tempeh bacon. Even though this recipe is fast, its not weekday breakfast fast. At least not to me. The chances of me cleaning a knife, cutting board and a skillet before 5:30 am are zero. You can make a 5 minute tofu scramble out of tofu and things from your spice cabinet though!
Choosing the Right Tofu
There are so may varieties of tofu to choose from no a days. My personal favorite for tofu scramble is Nasoya brands extra firm tofu. Extra firm is my most purchased variety of tofu. I use it in everything from tofu scramble, grilling recipes all the way to tofu ricotta. So when in doubt, extra firm tofu is the way to go. Using extra firm cuts down on cooking time which is exactly what we want from an Easy Tofu + Veggie Scramble.
The Spice is Right
While tofu scramble is similar to scrambled eggs, its more important to add seasoning other than salt and pepper than it is with eggs. Tofu is truly a blank canvas. It needs herbs and spices to become something special. I chose a combination of flavorful veggies, herbs and spices to create layers of flavor in this scramble.
If you don’t like some of these veggies, substitute them for what you like! Anything will work in a scramble. Thats the beauty of it. Just keep in mind that somethings need to cook longer than others. Also, your favorite vegan cheese would be pretty bomb on this.
Easy Tofu + Veggie Scramble
- 2 tsp Canola Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Small Dice
- 1/2 Small Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Package Extra Firm Tofu, drained I like Nasoya!
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- Pinch Turmeric (Optional) this is just for color
- 1/8 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Baby Kale or Spinach
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper in canol oil until lightly brown. About 5 minutes.
- Crumble tofu into the pan using your hands. Add salt, pepper, turmeric, thyme, basil and nutritional yeast. Turn the heat to medium high.
- Cook over medium high heat unti tofu starts to brown. 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and kale and cook until the kale is wilted. About 1 minute.
- dont be a little bitch.
- Serve warm or divide into microwave safe containers for easy reheating on your busiest mornings.
Let me know how this recipe worked for you! I’m going to create a few more egg replacement breakfast recipes for all of you savory breakfast people out there.