I'm starting to miss going out to eat. Its not something we do very often, but there are a few places in the Boston area that we really love to go and I'm starting to miss them. So, I'm channeling that energy into recreating my favorite meals from my favorite restaurants. One of my favorites that I have recreated lately is a humble Rustic Greek Village Salad salad from a Greek food spot. It's simple, but carefully prepared so each ingredient really shines.
This salad is incredibly simple. The bulk of it is cucumber and tomato. Thats it. If you have a garden in the warmer months, this would be a fantastic way to showcase your garden fresh veggies. The veggies are cut pretty large, and its served family-style which I love.
This salad is amazing on its own, in a roasted veggie buddah bowl, as a topping in a Chickpea Salad Pita or as a side to pretty much anything. My favorite thing about this Rustic Greek Village Salad is that it gets better the longer it sits. Since there are no delicate greens, nothing gets weird and wilted. The flavors marry and the veggies become more flavorful as they sit in the dressing.
The marinated feta I use here is a little tweak on the recipe I used for my Greek Pasta Salad. Definitely grab some rice vinegar for this if you don't have any. Rice vinegar is one of my most used vinegars. Its mild flavor meshes well with so many ingredients and its something I always have in my pantry. But, you can leave the tofu feta out of this salad and its still incredible.
The ingredients in this salad are all picked very intentionally. Be sure to use high quality extra virgin olive oil. It doesn't have to be Greek olive oil, just make sure its something you like. Also be sure to use the mint here. It adds so much flavor to the salad without overpowering it.
Rustic Greek Village Salad
- 1 Medium English Cucumber, Sliced about 2 cups
- 2 Small Tomatoes, quartered, cored and sliced about 2 cups
- ½ Small Onion, thinly sliced about ½ cup
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- 1 tablespoon Finely Chopped Fresh Mint
- ¼ cup Roughly Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley Optional
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dried Oregano
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
For the Marinated Tofu Feta
- ½ Package Tofu, Sliced in half lengthwise, then into 8 triangles
- 4 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- To make the feta: Combine vinegar, water, olive oil herbs and spices in a small tupperware container. Stir to combine and then add the feta. Store in the fridge until ready to use or up to 3 days.
- In a small bowl combine all dressing ingredients. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, combine sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, sliced onion, capers, mint and parsley.
- Pour the dressing over the top and gently toss to combine. Then top the salad with a few feta triangles.
- Serve immediately or, store in the fridge for up to three days.