Sheet pan meals are one of the easiest ways to throw together a healthy meal with minimal effort. So, when I got the chance to create one with the Ninja Foodi Oven, I was beyond pumped. After brainstorming and testing a few options out, I landed on this Seitan Shawarma Bowl with with tahini sauce.
The best thing about sheet pan meals is that you just dump everything onto a tray and let the oven do the work. This Ninja Foodi Oven is great because it takes 60 seconds to heat up, so there is no preheat required. And, it roasts and browns FAST thanks to convection baking. Thanks to this multipurpose oven, this meal was ready in less than 30 minutes!
I chose seitan for this recipe. Seitan is a plant based protein made from wheat gluten. It has a firm, slightly chewy texture. My personal favorite thing about seitan is that it crisps up much better than tofu or tempeh. But for you gluten intolerant people out there, this recipe will work with tofu!
I whipped up a 3 ingredient tahini sauce to top this bowl with. Just pour the ingredients in a jar while dinner is in the oven and give it a good shake. Then just pour it on whatever you’d like. This sauce is something I make all the time. I use it on anything from roasted veggies to grain or green salads. But if you want to cut this corner, you could always use a dollop of hummus in its place.
This quick and easy sheet pan dinner is sure to spice up your weeknight rotation- and maybe even stay there!
Seitan Shawarma Bowl
- 2 tsp Ras El Hanout* See note
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 1 8oz Package Seitan Strips
- 1 Small Onion Sliced
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper Sliced
- 1 Small Zucchini Sliced
- 1 Small Sweet Potato Peeled + Cubed
- 4 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1/2 Cup Parsey, finely chopped optional
- Combine spices in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and stir to combine. Add seitan to the bowl and toss to coat and pour seitan onto the pan.
- Add a half tablespoon of olive oil and the cubed sweet potatoes to the same mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to combine. Pour onto the sheetpan next to the seitan.
- Into the same bowl again, combine onion, pepper, zucchini the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and another pinch of salt and pepper and pour onto the pan.
- Place pan into the Foodi oven, set to the Air Roast option, 425* for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes have elapsed, remove the seitan from the pan and into a bowl for serving, toss the sweet potatoes and veggies so they can brown evenly and return to the oven for another 7 minutes.
- While in the oven, into a small jar, combine tahini, lemon juice and water in a small jar. Shake to combine. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake once more to combine.
- After the 7 minutes have elapsed, remove the pan from the oven, serve in bowls with a generous pour of tahini dressing and a handful of chopped parsley.
Let me know how you liked this recipe and if there is anything you’d like to see me make next!