These Vegan Smores Cookies are filled with graham cracker, vegan marshmallow and chopped chocolate. And they are easy to make, chewy and absolutely delicious!
I'm always looking for excuses to make cookies. In this case, I spotted a half used bag of Dandies Vegan Marshmallows and I knew exactly what I needed to do with them. So here we have Vegan Smores Cookies.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Smores Cookies
Vegan Butter: I prefer Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. Whatever brand you choose, be sure to pick one that comes in stick form, not in a tub.
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar, here.
Molasses: I add molasses to give the cookeis a warm brown sugar flavor. If you don't have molasses, sub the granulated sugar for 1 cup of light brown sugar.
Flax egg: Ground flax plus water makes a flax egg. This helps bind the cookie dough.
Vanilla: To amp up the warm graham flavor even more.
Flour: Basic all purpose flour here.
Graham Crumbs: I use graham crumbs as kind of flour in this recipe. They impart a nice warm flavor to these Vegan Smores Cookies
Baking Powder and Soda: To keep these cookies chewy, not dense.
Salt: For Balance.
Chopped Chocolate: I used a 4 ounce semisweet chocolate bar, chopped. Feel free to sub semisweet chocolate chips if you prefer.
Graham Pieces: Because there is never enough graham cracker.
Vegan Marshmallows: They aren't Vegan Smores Cookies without marshmallows. I like Dandies brand. Just make sure you don't buy the jumbo ones!
Vegan Graham Cracker Brands
Most graham crackers are not vegan. Typically they contain honey.
Nabisco Grahams are vegan. And they are nationally available to boot! I am able to find them at all of my towns grocery stores and at Target, too!
How To Make Graham Crumbs and Pieces
Now that you have the Nabisco Grahams in hand, its time to make some crumbs and pieces for the Vegan Smores Cookies.
To make one cup of graham cracker crumbs, place 7 sheets of graham cracker into a gallon sized plastic bag.
Seal it up, then use a rolling pin, large can or other heavy cylindrical object to roll over the graham crackers until they are fine crumbs.
Keep in mind that these crumbs are taking the place of flour so you want them really fine.
To make a half cup of graham cracker pieces, take two graham cracker sheets and break them into ¼ to ½ inch pieces. And thats it!
How to Stuff the Vegan Smores Cookies with Marshmallows
While I love Dandies Vegan Marshmallows, I have not had good luck baking with them as a standard mix-in. They tend to get a little hard in my experience.
However, they do great when stuffed into the middle of cookies. So thats what I did for these Vegan Smores Cookies. They bake up nice and soft, just as a regular marshmallow would.
To stuff these cookies, take a ¼ cup of cookie dough and use your thumb to make a well in the center.
Fill the well with 3 marshmallows.
Then, press the cookie dough on top into the center to hide the marshmallows. Thats it!
Looking for More Cookie Recipes?
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies by The Simple Veganista
Vegan Smores Cookies
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Wooden Spoon or Electric Mixer
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 Cookie Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter I used a Soy Free Earth Balance Stick
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Unsulphered Molasses
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax
- 4 tablespoon Water
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ⅓ Cups All Porpose Flour
- 1 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs See Note
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup Graham Cracker Pieces See Note
- 4 oz Chopped Chocolate or a scant 1 Cup of chocolate chips
- ⅔ Cup Vegan Marshmallows
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment. Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a small bowl, combine flax, water and vanilla. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream vegan butter, sugar and molasses together using either a wooden spoon or an electric hand mixer.
- Add the flax mixture and stir to combine.
- Add graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Add graham cracker pieces and chocolate chips and stir to distribute.
- Using a ¼ Cup measuring cup, scoop 6 mounds of dough onto one cookie sheet. Then take a dough mound in your hands and press a well into the center. Place 3 marshmallows Ito the center, then roll the dough ball between your palms to hide the marshmallows in the center of the dough ball. Repeat with each mound of dough.
- Bake 1 tray at a time in a 350* oven for 15-17 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cookie rack to cool completely.