These Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies are eggless cookies, use fresh lemon zest and juice for their lemon flavor and are iced with a simple lemon icing.
These cookies are a lemon lovers dream. They are bright and zippy. And I love that all of the flavor comes from real lemons. No lemon extract needed here!
These cookies are also really chewy which is my favorite kind of cookie. They have that crisp edge with a soft and chewy interior that makes them irresistible.
Vegan Butter: I prefer Soy Free Earth Balance Buttery sticks. I think they have the best flavor.
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar, here.
Flax Egg: A combination of ground flax and plant milk make our binding agent.
Flour: Regular all purpose flour- I prefer Kind Arthur brand.
Baking Powder: Baking powder for lift and to help the cookies spread.
Salt: For balance.
Lemon Zest and Juice: I use both zest and juice here for maximum lemon flavor.
Vanilla Extract: I cant make a baked good without vanilla. It gives a nice rounded out background flavor to these Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies.
These cookies are super simple to make.
First, make the flax egg. Combine the flax, plant milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and set aside.
Then, cream the butter and sugar together.
Next add the flax egg and mix well.
Finally, add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is just combined.
Once the dough is made, scoop the cookies and chill them.
The chill time helps the lemon flavor permeate the entire cookie and it helps the cookies bake up thick and chewy. So don't skip it!
How to Make Eggless Cookies
To make these Vegan Lemon Cookies eggless I used flax eggs.
Flax eggs are a combination of ground flax and a liquid. The flax soaks up the liquid and makes the mixture gelatinous like eggs! It works perfectly for binding a dough.
I typically buy Bobs Red Mill Ground Flax, but any brand will work well for this purpose.
How to Make Lemon Icing
This I love an iced lemon cookies. And this icing only has two ingredients and takes just a few minutes to whisk together.
Simply start with powdered sugar in a bowl and add lemon juice until its loose enough to drizzle onto the cookies.
This icing gives these Vegan Lemon Cookies so much fresh lemony flavor with minimal effort.
To store these cookies, place them in an airtight container and leave them at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Or place them in the freezer for up to a month.
Looking for More Lemon Recipes?
Vegan Lemon Cake by: Loving it Vegan
Vegan Lemon Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
For the Cookies
- 12 tablespoon Non Dairy Butter
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax
- ¼ Cup Non Dairy Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Zest of One Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 ¾ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt ½ teaspoon if using fine grain salt
For the Glaze
- 1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 7-9 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- In a small bowl, combine flax, non dairy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Set aside.2 tablespoon Ground Flax, ¼ Cup Non Dairy Milk, 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice, Zest of One Lemon, 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a mixing bowl using a rubber spatula, cream butter and sugar until well combined.12 tablespoon Non Dairy Butter, 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- Add the flax mixture to the butter and sugar and stir well.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and stir until just combined.2 ¾ Cups All Purpose Flour, 1 tablespoon Baking Powder, ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop dough mounds onto a parchment lined baking tray. You should get about 14 mounds. Then roll each mound into spheres between the palms of your hands. Place on the tray and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Place 8 dough balls on the baking tray and gently press them down so they don't roll around. Leave the remaining dough in the refrigerator.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are set.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
To Make the Icing
- Put the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add 6 teaspoons of lemon juice and stir with a whisk. Add 1-3 more teaspoons of lemon juice, whisking well between each addition until you reach the desired consistency. 8 teaspoons was perfect for me.1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar, 7-9 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Use a spoon to drizzle icing onto cookies. Allow glaze to set completely before stacking or storing.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for 1 month.