These Vegan Lemon Cookies are easy and delicious. These eggless cookies use fresh lemon zest and juice for their lemon flavor and are iced with a simple lemon glaze.
These Vegan Lemon Cookies are a lemon lovers dream. They are bright and zippy. And I love that all of the flavor comes from real lemons. No lemon extract needed here!
These cookies are also really chewy which is my favorite kind of cookie. They have that crisp edge with a soft and chewy interior that makes them irresistible.
How to Make Eggless Lemon Cookies
There are many methods of replacing eggs in baked goods. for example: powdered egg replacer, apple sauce, chia eggs, and mashed banana, just to name a few. They all work great but for different purposes.
To make these Vegan Lemon Cookies eggless I used flax eggs.
Flax eggs are just a combination of ground flax and a liquid. The flax soaks up the liquid and makes the mixture gelatinous like eggs! It works perfectly for binding a dough like cookie dough together.
Typically to make a flax egg I use 1:2 ratio of flax to liquid. So in this Vegan Lemon Cookie recipe I call for 2 tablespoons of flax and ¼ cup of plant milk.
But, to streamline the process, I combine all the liquids in with the flax egg mixture which is why the recipe says to combine flax, milk, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon zest.
I typically buy Bobs Red Mill Ground Flax, but any brand will work well for this purpose.
And other than replacing eggs with flax eggs, this recipe is just like any other cookie dough.
These Vegan Lemon Cookies do require a chill time, though. The chill time helps the lemon flavor permeate the entire cookie and it helps the cookies bake up thick and chewy. So don't skip it!
How to Make Lemon Icing
At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to make these iced lemon cookies or leave them plain. But, not only does a little drizzle of icing make them pretty, it also gives them that tart, zippy fresh lemon flavor thanks to a very simple glaze.
This glaze only has two ingredients and takes just a few minutes to whisk together. Simply start with powdered sugar in a bowl and add lemon juice until its loose enough to drizzle onto the cookies.
This simple step gives these Vegan Lemon Cookies so much fresh lemony flavor with minimal effort!
Looking for More Lemon Recipes?
These Vegan Lemon Cookies are soft, chewy and fill of fresh lemon zest and juice. And they're perfect for all the lemon dessert lovers out there!
Vegan Lemon Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Sheet Pan
For the Cookies
- 12 tablespoon Non Dairy Butter I used Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax
- ¼ Cup Non Dairy Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Zest of One Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 2 ¾ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt ½ teaspoon if using fine grain salt
For the Glaze
- 1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 7-9 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- In a small bowl, combine flax, non dairy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a mixing bowl using a wooden spoon, cream butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add the flax mixture to the butter and sugar and stir well.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and stir until just combined.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop dough mounds onto a parchment lined baking tray. You should get about 14 mounds. Then roll each mound into spheres between the palms of your hands. Place on the tray and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Place 8 dough balls on the baking tray and gently press them down so they don't roll around. Leave the remaining dough in the refrigerator.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are set.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
To Make the Icing
- Put the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add 6 teaspoons of lemon juice and stir with a whisk. Add 1-3 more teaspoons of lemon juice, whisking well between each addition until you reach the desired consistency. 8 teaspoons was perfect for me.
- Use a spoon to drizzle icing onto cookies. Allow glaze to set completely before stacking or storing.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for 1 month.