These Vegan Lemon Strawberry Scones are easy to make and yield tender and fluffy scones that taste like strawberry lemonade!
I love to make scones and biscuits. They are also some of my favorite baked goods to eat! I love all flavors from classics like Vegan Vanilla Scones to more unique flavors like these Earl Grey Scones.
You've probably had a dry scone or two before but, when made correctly, they are light, tender and moist. And I promise this vegan scone recipe will not disappoint!
Vegan Butter: Be sure to use a vegan butter that comes in stick form like Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. If you use a vegan butter that comes in a tub, the scones will spread too much.
Lemon Zest: The lemon flavor in these Vegan Lemon Strawberry Scones comes from lemon zest. No extract or flavorings required!
Strawberries: Chop the strawberries into about ¼ inch pieces for better distribution.
Don't like strawberries? Substitute any berry you prefer like raspberries, blackberries or blueberries.
Or substitute the lemon zest for orange, grapefruit or lime zest!
These Vegan Lemon Strawberry Scones are so easy and fast to make! Here is how:
In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the lemon zest into the sugar to release the oils.
Then, the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl and mix to combine.
Next, add the cold, cubed vegan butter and use a fork or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until its the size of small peas.
Now, add the non-dairy milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Gently toss the mixture together with a fork. It will look shaggy here and thats okay!
Pour the shaggy vegan lemon scone dough onto a lightly floured work surface and fold it over onto itself a couple of times to help it come together.
Then, add the strawberries which I'll cover in detail below!
How to Add the Strawberries to the Scones
My method for adding the strawberries to the vegan lemon scones may seem a little weird, but it keeps the dough from becoming too wet, keeps the berries in tact, and distributes them evenly.
Here is how to do it:
Start by pressing the dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
Then, add the chopped strawberries on top of the dough and lightly press them in.
Next, roll the rectangle toward you like a cinnamon roll.
Then, press the log into a rectangle once more.
Finally, cut the scones and bake!
Make the Lemon Glaze
The easy lemon glaze makes these scones taste like strawberry lemonade!
And to make it, all you need to do is whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
Then, drizzle the glaze on top of the Vegan Lemon Strawberry Scones.
Keep all ingredients cold until you are ready to use them!
That means cube the butter and measure the liquids and place them back into the refrigerator.
Work the vegan scone dough as little as possible once it comes together. Folding it onto itself to help it come together is fine, but do not knead it!
To store, place the Vegan Lemon Strawberry Scones in an airtight container and keep at room temperature for up to 1 day. Scones stale quickly.
Or, freeze for up to a month.
Looking for More Easy Breakfast Recipes?
Vegan Lemon Strawberry Scones
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Fork
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter, cold, cubed into ¼" pieces
- 6 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- The Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Chopped Strawberries See Note
For the Glaze
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 5 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 425* and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Into a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine plant milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Place it into the refrigerator until ready to use.6 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk, 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Into a large bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar to release the oils in the zest.½ Cup Granulated Sugar, The Zest of 1 Lemon
- Into the bowl with the sugar, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.2 Cups All-Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ⅛ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add the cold cubed butter to the bowl. Using your hands or a fork, work the vegan butter into the flour until its the size of small peas.8 tablespoon Vegan Butter, cold, cubed into ¼" pieces
- Add the non-dairy milk mixture into the bowl and gently toss together with a fork. The dough will look very shaggy, here.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and fold it onto itself a few times to help it come together. Then pat it into an approximately 6x9 inch rectangle.
- Add the chopped strawberries evenly to the top of the dough. Gently press them in and then roll the dough toward you, into a log.1 Cup Chopped Strawberries
- Then pat the dough into a 4x8 inch rectangle. Cut the dough down the center longways, then into 4 pieces across to make 8 squared.
- Place the scones onto a parchement lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425* oven for 16-18 minutes. The bottom of the scones should be browned all the way across.
- Cool slightly before topping with glaze.
Make the Lemon Glaze
- In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk well until smooth.1 Cup Powdered Sugar, 5 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the scones and serve.