These Vegan Vanilla Scones are simple to make and use basic pantry ingredients. They bake up soft and fluffy and make a delicious breakfast.
These Vegan Vanilla Scones are SO delicious. They are fluffy, tender and the perfect amount of sweet. I love to serve these as a brunch time treat or as an any-time-of-day snack.
Flour: Regular all purpose flour is all you need here.
Sugar: Sugar sweetens these scones a bit and also keeps them moist.
Leaveners: A combination of baking powder and baking soda helps the scones rise nice and tall.
Salt: Kosher salt for balance.
Vegan Butter: I recommend Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. I prefer the taste of the soy-free variety over the original.
Plant Milk: I used So Delicious Coconut Milk, but use what you prefer.
Lemon Juice or White Vinegar: Lemon juice or vinegar combines with the vegan milk to create a buttermilk of sorts.
Vanilla Extract: For a background flavor.
Vanilla Bean: The vanilla bean is the is star of the show in these Vegan Vanilla Scones. You can also use ¼ teaspoon of vanilla paste if you prefer.
Top Recipe Tips
Here are my top three tips for making tender and fluffy Vegan Vanilla Scones:
First, is to handle the dough as little as possible. Because the more you handle the dough, the more opportunity gluten has to strengthen. And strong gluten means tough scones.
Second, is to work the butter into the flour until the butter is pea sized. Small pieces of vegan butter throughout the pastry will help with lift, moisture and tenderness. BUT, if the butter is worked into the flour more than to the pea-sized stage, the dough will be too wet.
Lastly, when the scones are cut from the circle of dough, use a sharp knife and leave the edges raw.
It can be tempting to pat the sides of the scones, but don't! Because, these Vegan Vanilla scones will rise higher if the edges are left alone.
Looking for More Brunch Recipes?
Savoury Vegan Breakfast Bowl by Lazy Cat Kitchen
Vegan Vanilla Scones
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Stick Non-Dairy Butter, COLD + cut into cubes I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt ⅛ teaspoon if using fine grain salt
- 1 Vanilla Bean, Scraped
For the Glaze
- 1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean, scraped
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 5-6 teaspoon Plant Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to 400* F and Line a sheet tray with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a small bowl, combine plant milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir and set aside.½ Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk, 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the seeds from the scraped vanilla bean. Whisk to combine, being sure to break up any clumps of vanilla bean.2 Cups All Purpose Flour, ½ Cup Sugar, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 1 Vanilla Bean, Scraped
- Add the cubed non-dairy butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, work the butter into the flour until the butter is the size of small peas.1 Stick Non-Dairy Butter, COLD + cut into cubes
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour butter mixture and using a spatula, gently fold until everything is just combined.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gently press into a circle that is 6-7 inches in diameter.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the circle into 6 triangles. Place the triangles onto a lined sheet tray and bake in a 400* oven for 17-20 minutes or until the scones are golden all the way across the bottom.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before glazing.
Meanwhile make the Vanilla Glaze:
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla bean, and vanilla extract. Add the plant milk 1 teaspoon at a time, stirring with a whisk in between each addition, until you reach a consistency that can be drizzled.1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar, 1 Vanilla Bean, scraped, ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 5-6 teaspoon Plant Milk
- Once, scones have cooled for 10 minutes, use a spoon to drizzle the desired amount of glaze onto each scone.