This Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe is completely dairy-free and is perfect for frosting cakes or piping onto cupcakes! And it only requires 4 ingredients and 10 minutes to make.
This frosting my my most made recipe. Its easy to make and is super versatile. I use it to frost cakes like my Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake, and to pipe onto cupcakes like these Cardamom Vanilla Cupcakes. It comes out perfect and fluffy every single time.
Vegan Butter: My top recommendation is Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. But a close second is Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks.
Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar is super fine and gives this American-style buttercream its smooth consistency.
Vanilla Extract: For the vanilla flavor in this vegan vanilla buttercream frosting.
Non-Dairy Milk: A bit of non-dairy milk helps make the buttercream light and fluffy.
How to Make Vegan Buttercream Frosting
This dairy-free buttercream frosting only requires a few simple steps.
First, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until it is completely smooth.
Next, add the powdered sugar and mix on low until its just incorporated.
Then, add the vanilla extract and a tablespoon of non-dairy milk and mix on low until incorporated. Now, add the second tablespoon of non-dairy milk and mix to incorporate
Finally, turn the mixer to medium and mix until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds to a minute.
Expert Tips and Tricks
Sift the powdered sugar. The goal is smooth, light and fluffy vegan vanilla buttercream frosting. Powdered sugar is prone to clumps, so take the time to make sure it is sifted and free of all clumps.
Perhaps the most crucial tip is to scrape the bowl down a LOT. When you think you can't scrape the bowl down anymore, do it one more time.
The paddle attachment doesn't quite reach the side of the bowl so the stuff that gets stuck there won't get incorporated. So, scrape that bowl down throughout the process for the creamiest vanilla frosting of all time.
You need a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer and a large bowl for this recipe.
I recommend a stand mixer, but it will work with a hand mixer!
This Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is perfect for:
Piping onto cupcakes.
Filling sandwich cookies.
Or eating with a spoon!
To store, scoop the buttercream frosting into an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
For freeze for up to two months.
To use from cold, allow to sit at room temperature until its pliable, then scoop it into a stand mixer and whip it back up until light and fluffy.
Looking for More Buttercream and Frosting Recipes?
Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment Or hand mixer and a large bowl
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 Sifter
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 16 tablespoon Vegan Butter, room temperature see note!
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- Cream the vegan butter in the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until its completely smooth and creamy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl down a couple of times during this process so everything mixes evenly.16 tablespoon Vegan Butter, room temperature
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until its combined, about 1 minute.4 Cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- Add vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of non-dairy milk and mix on low until fully incorporated. Then add the remaining tablespoon of milk and mix on low to incorporate.2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- Now, turn the mixer to medium speed and mix until its light and fluffy, 30 seconds- 1 minute.
- Use as desired.
Let me know how this recipe worked for you!