This Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting recipe is absolutely delicious and surprisingly dairy free! Its light, fluffy and perfect for frosting cakes or sandwiching between cookies.\
This buttercream is light and fluffy, which many peanut butter frostings aren't. Peanut Butter can be heavy and hard to whip air into. And it can especially be hard to maintain a smooth texture. But, this recipe really nails it. This buttercream in sturdy enough to fill cakes, while being light and smooth enough to pipe onto cupcakes.
Vegan Butter: I like Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks and Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
Peanut Butter: Use a natural peanut butter here. The kind that separates.
Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup helps sweeten and makes the butter cream light and fluffy.
Powdered Sugar: For stability and sweetness.
Salt: For balance.
Vanilla Extract: For a background flavor.
This Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting is SO easy.
First, cream the vegan butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Then, add the peanut butter and salt and mix well.
Next, stream in the maple syrup.
Now, add the sifted powdered sugar and mix on low until the sugar is incorporated. Then, turn the mixer to medium until its light and fluffy.
Finally, add the vanilla and mix once more to incorporate.
And thats it!
Use any nut butter you like for this recipe. Just make sure its a natural variety that separates. You could use almond butter or cashew butter!
Be sure to use vegan butter that comes in a stick form. The varieties sold in tubs are too soft for this use.
You need a stand mixer for this recipe. A stand mixer is the only thing that will make this buttercream smooth and light.
Store this Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Or, store in the freezer for up to a month.
When you want to use the frosting, allow it to come to room temperature. Then, add into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix until the frosting is light and fluffy again.
There are so many uses for frosting. I've used this frosting to:
Pipe onto sandwich cookies.
Spread onto cupcakes.
Use to frost cakes.
Looking for More Frosting Recipes?
Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 Stand Mixer and paddle attachment
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 Sifter
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- ½ Cup Natural Peanut Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the softened plant butter until no lumps remain, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.8 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- Add peanut butter and salt to the mixer and combine well, again scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure that everything is fully incorporated.½ Cup Natural Peanut Butter, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- With the mixer on low, stream the maple syrup into the peanut butter mixture. Scrape the bowl down and turn the mixer to medium speed to whip up for about 30 seconds.¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- Now, add 1 cup of powdered sugar and turn the mixer on to low to incorporate. Scrape the bowl down and add the second cup of powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on low to incorporate.2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, turn the mixer to medium and let the buttercream whip up for about 1 minute. It should be smooth, light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and stir on low to distribute.1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Use as desired.
Let me know how you liked this recipe and what you frosted with it!
This frosting is DIVINE.