This Vegan Peanut Butter Cake recipe is super simple and made with basic ingredients. The resulting cake is incredibly moist and full of peanut butter flavor.Jump to Recipe
I thought developing a Vegan Peanut Butter Cake would be a significant challenge. I thought the peanut butter would make the cake dense and greasy. But, this cake is light, fluffy, moist and tender all while being full of peanut butter flavor. And, it uses basic staple ingredients!
All Purpose Flour: I always recommend King Arthur flour. The quality is amazing.
Leaveners: A combination of baking powder and baking soda help this cake rise evenly and high.
Sugar: Regular old granulated sugar, here.
Plant Milk: I always use So Delicious Coconut Milk, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Oil: I use store brand canola oil for baking. All canola oil is virtually the same.
Peanut Butter: ONLY use natural creamy peanut butter for this vegan peanut butter cake recipe. My top peanut butter choice is Teddie.
Vanilla: To add background flavor.
White Vinegar: This activates the baking soda.
This Vegan Peanut Butter Cake is easy and quick to make.
First, combine the sugar, peanut butter, oil, non dairy milk, vanilla and white vinegar in a large bowl. Whisk the wet mixture really well.
Then, sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and whisk to form the batter.
And thats is! Pour the batter into a prepared cake pan and bake.
Top Recipe Tip
My biggest cake making tip is: don't over mix the batter.
Over mixing usually means after you add the dry ingredients.
So, add all the wet ingredients to the bowl and whisk as much as your heart desires.
But, once the dry ingredients are in the bowl, only whisk for about 10 seconds.
Choose Your Cake Size
I baked my Vegan Peanut Butter Cake in a 9x9 square pan.
Its super easy and makes this cake easy to slap some buttercream on top and serve.
However, you can bake this cake in 3 six inch OR 2 eight inch cake pans for a layer cake.
Or, you could bake these as peanut butter cupcakes! You will just need to adjust the baking time to 17-20 minutes for all of these options.
What to Frost the Cake With
I placed my Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting recipe just below the cake recipe. The two make a delicious, intensely peanut buttery combination.
But, it would also be delicious with Vanilla Frosting or Chocolate Frosting.
Store this cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Looking for More Peanut Butter Recipes?
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Overnight Oats
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blondies
Vegan Peanut Butter Cake
- 9x9 Cake Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- ½ Cup Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt ⅛ teaspoon if using fine grain salt
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Prepare a 9x9 square pan by coating it with coconut oil or baking spray and by inserting a parchment sling for easy removal. (See above photos).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, plant milk, peanut butter, canola oil, vanilla and vinegar. Whisk really well to combine, making sure that the peanut butter is completely mixed into the other ingredients.1 Cup Granulated Sugar, 1 Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk, ½ Cup Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, ¼ Cup Canola Oil, 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract, 1 ½ teaspoon White Vinegar
- Place a fine mesh sifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients, making sure not to allow the sifter to dip into the wets.
- Into the sifter add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift into the wet ingredients. Whisk until just combined.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake in a 350* oven for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before decorating and serving. See Peanut Butter Frosting recipe below!
Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 Stand Mixer and paddle attachment
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 Sifter
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- ½ Cup Natural Peanut Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the softened plant butter until no lumps remain, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.8 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- Add peanut butter and salt to the mixer and combine well, again scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure that everything is fully incorporated.½ Cup Natural Peanut Butter, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- With the mixer on low, stream the maple syrup into the peanut butter mixture. Scrape the bowl down and turn the mixer to medium speed to whip up for about 30 seconds.¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- Now, add 1 cup of powdered sugar and turn the mixer on to low to incorporate. Scrape the bowl down and add the second cup of powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on low to incorporate.2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, turn the mixer to medium and let the buttercream whip up for about 1 minute. It should be smooth, light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and stir on low to distribute.1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Use as desired.
Delicious! I made this with gluten free flour, brown sugar, and avocado oil! It turned out great! Good flavor, moist and semi dense. I whisked together all the wet ingredients and the brown sugar and let it set for about 30 minutes to let the sugar dissolve and flavors marry before I then added the dry ingredients and mixed with a fork till moist. I baked it in a 7x11inch glass pan, greased with a little Crisco, at 350 for 36 minutes.
Thanks Megan for this recipe..I tried it with whole wheat flour , it came out nice. Somehow, peanut butter gives it a dry feel but we accompanied with our evening tea and it was a hit. Looking forward to try more of your recipes.