These Vegan Double Chocolate Whoopie Pies are the perfect hand held dairy free dessert. And I show you how to freeze the whoopie pies in this post.
These Vegan Double Chocolate Whoopie Pies are simple to make. The exterior cookies are cakey and soft and the filling is fluffy chocolate buttercream. These are the perfect hand held treat for any occasion.
To make these whoopie pies you will need:
Flour: Regular all purpose flour.
Sugar: Granulated sugar for sweetness and structure.
Cocoa Powder: For that chocolatey flavor.
Leaveners: Both baking powder and baking soda here.
Salt: For Balance.
Non Dairy Milk: Non dairy milk keeps these whoopie pies vegan.
Vegan Butter: Vegan butter keeps them moist.
Agave: For a little extra sweetness.
Vanilla: Because I can't bake without it.
These Vegan Double Chocolate Whoopie Pies are super simple to make.
First, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Next, combine the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
Then, pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk it all together.
Now, chill the dough.
Finally, scoop and bake!
How to Freeze
Let's talk about how to freeze the whoopie pies. First, allow the cookies to cool completely and don't fill them!
Place the cookies in an airtight container with parchment between the layers as you stack.
Then, place in the freezer for up to a month.
When you want to serve, allow the cookies to thaw, then fill with buttercream and serve.
To store the filled whoopie pies, place them into an airtight container and store un the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Top Recipe Tip
Don't skip the chill time! The chill allows the batter to thicken up a little big so they bake nice and thick. The whoopie pies will be thin if you skip the chill time.
Looking for More Sandwich Cookies?
Homemade Oreos by: Addicted to Dates
Vegan Double Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- 1 2 Tablespoon Cookie Scoop
- 2 Cookie Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 4 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon Agave Nectar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ recipe Vegan Chocolate Frosting (linked below) Or Store Bought!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.1 Cup All-Purpose Flour, ½ Cup Sugar, ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder, sifted, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Into a small bowl, combine plant milk, melted vegan butter, agave and vanilla. whisk to combine.½ Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk, 4 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted, 2 tablespoon Agave Nectar, 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to combine.Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to thicken up.
- Preheat oven to 350*F and line 2 trays with parchment.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, portions mounds of dough onto the cookie sheets being sure to leave at least 2 inches of space between each mound.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 11-13 minutes or until the cookies feel set when pressed with a finger.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Flip half of the whoopie pies upside down, then use the same two tablespoon scoop to scoop chocolate buttercream onto the cookies.½ recipe Vegan Chocolate Frosting (linked below)
- Top with the remaining cookies and serve.