Its one of my besties birthdays coming up and I wanted to make a cake for her. And I happen to know that she love all things fall. I mean, don’t we all? So, I wanted to create a cake especially for her. I didn’t have a pumpkin spice cake recipe on the blog yet, so I set out to create one. I’d like to introduce The BEST Pumpkin Spice Cake.
This is my favorite cake that I have created so far. Although, its not necessarily better than the other cake recipes on my site. I just prefer spiced cakes- especially during Autumn. And, I didn’t hold back in the spices here. Because when I want spiced treats, I want them to be FILLED with spice flavor. And, this cake is also incredibly soft, and fluffy while still being stackable. Basically, this is the perfect cake.
This recipe is made in one bowl which means easy clean up! For the one-bowl method scale the wet ingredients into the bowl first. Then, fit a sifter on top of the mixing bowl. Next, add the dry ingredients into the sifter. And finally, sift directly into the bowl. But, be sure to not allow the sifter to dip into the wet ingredients!
The only recipe note I have is be sure to use canned pumpkin puree NOT canned pumpkin pie filling. In my grocery store they are right next to each other with nearly identical labels. So, be sure to read the labels carefully! My favorite easily accessible canned pumpkin brands are Libbys and Farmers Market.
I stacked and frosted this Pumpkin Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Buttercream (recipe coming soon!), but Vanilla Buttercream would be great too. But, if building a cake is intimidating to you, then make this recipe into cupcakes! They will take about the same time in the oven and are easier to frost for beginners.
This truly is The BEST Pumpkin Spice Cake. Its soft, fluffy, moist and is filled with warm Autumn spices and pumpkin. Bake this cake for any Fall celebration- or really any time of year. I won’t tell.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 1/8 tsp Cloves
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree Not pumpkin pie filling!
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Prepare 3 6" cake pans. I grease the pans with walk shortening and line the bottom of the pan with a parchment circle for easy cake removal. This recipe can also make cupcakes or 2 8" cake rounds.
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- Into a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, Pumpkin, molasses, plant milk, canola oil, lemon juice or vinegar and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
- Fit a sifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients, being sure not to get the sifter dip into the liquid.
- Into the sifter, measure first all the spices, then flour, then salt, then baking powder and baking soda. Sift into the wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans and gently spread it out. Or fill lined muffin pans 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes or cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then remove from the pans onto a cooling rack. Cool COMPLETELY before decorating- there is nothing worse than melting buttercream.
Let me know how this recipe works for you!