This Vegan Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake recipe is soft, well-spiced and delicious all while being eggless and dairy-free! Its the perfect Fall cake for any celebration.
I love Fall baking! Its the best excuse to make all kinds of desserts from my Vegan Dutch Apple Pie Galette to my Vegan Maple Sweet Potato Cake. But, one of my favorite ways to ring it in is by making this cake Vegan Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake.
It is surprisingly simple to make, and its absolutely packed with spices and tastes just like Autumn in a cake. But, if stacking a layer cake is too intimidating, make my Vegan Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes! You will not be disappointed.
Pumpkin Purée: My favorite brand is Libby's. Just be sure to grab 100% pure pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie mix!
Pumpkin Pie Spice: I love to keep pumpkin pie spice mix on hand because it is a one-stop shop for all the fall flavors. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, though, I will tell you a homemade spice mix to use below.
Non-Dairy Milk: I used oat milk, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Brown Sugar: Brown sugar adds the most delicious molasses flavor to this vegan layer cake recipe that pairs so well with the spices.
White Vinegar: You won't taste this in the finished product. It helps activate the baking soda for a fluffy cake.
If you don't have a pre-made pumpkin pie spice, use this mix:
2 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoons of ginger, ¼ teaspoon of allspice and ⅛ teaspoon each nutmeg and clove.
Mixing the Vegan Eggless Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake recipe is easy and quick!
First, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda salt and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Then, in a large bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin purée, non-dairy milk, canola oil, vinegar and vanilla and whisk well.
Now, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
Finally, divide the batter between prepared cake pans and bake!
Cake Size Options
This recipe will make three 6" cake layers or two 8" cake layers.
What to Frost the Cake With
I have included my Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting in this recipe.
How to Stack a Layer Cake
Stacking a layer cake can be intimidating, but here is how I do it, step-by-step.
First, place a cake layer upside-down onto a cake board or directly onto a cake stand.
Then, add about ½ cup of buttercream to the layer and use a knife or an offset spatula to spread it out.
Then, top with another upside-down cake layer and repeat.
Now that the Vegan Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake is stacked, use the same knife or offset spatula to spread frosting all the way around the outside and garnish as desired.
Expert Tips and Tricks
Freeze the cake layers for an hour before stacking. This will make the cakes more stable and make it easier if you are a beginner.
To store, place the cake into a cake box or other large container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Looking for More Pumpkin Recipes?
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake
- 1 Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment For the frosting
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Medium Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- 3 6" Round Cake Pans or 2 8" Cake Pans
- Parchment Paper
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt half this amount if using table salt
- 4 ¾ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, tightly packed
- ½ Cup Canned Pumpkin Purée Not pumpkin pie filling
- ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Frosting
- 16 tablespoon Vegan Butter see note
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
To Make the Cake
- Prepare three 6" round cake pans by greasing the pans with shortening and inserting a parchment circle into the bottom of each pan. This recipe can also make two 8" cake rounds.
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to combine.1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 4 ¾ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin purée, non-dairy milk, canola oil, vinegar and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, tightly packed, ½ Cup Canned Pumpkin Purée, ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk, ⅓ Cup Canola Oil, 1 ½ teaspoon White Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add the dry ingredients into to wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter. See note.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans and gently spread it out with a spatula or knife.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then remove from the pans onto a parchment-lined sheet tray to cool completely, about 2 hours.
Make the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the vegan butter until its completely smooth. Then add the powdered sugar and mix on low until it comes together.16 tablespoon Vegan Butter, 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Add the vanilla and non-dairy milk and mix on low until combined, then turn the speed to medium and mix until its light and fluffy, about 30 seconds- 1 minute.2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
Stack the Cake
- Place a cake upside-down onto a cake board or cake stand. Top the layer with about ½ cup of frosting and use a butter knife or an offset spatula to spread it out. Top with another upside-down cake layer and repeat.
- Use the same butterknife or offset spatula to frost the outside of the cake. Serve!
Let me know how this recipe works for you!