This Vegan Maple Sweet Potato Cake recipe is quick, delicious and full of warm spices. Its sweetened entirely with maple syrup and packed with roasted sweet potato.
Its spice cake season. And I love spiced baked goods. I have plenty of spice recipes here on Earthly Provisions from my Vegan Dirty Chai Spice Cake, to my Vegan Pumpkin Snickerdoodles and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.
But, I don't have any sweet potato spice recipes. So today I'm changing that with this Vegan Maple Sweet Potato Cake. Its soft, well-spiced and full of maple syrup and baked sweet potato. The perfect spice cake for people who want something a little different than the traditional pumpkin spice cake.
Mashed Baked Sweet Potato: You can either bake a sweet potato and allow it to cool completely, use leftover sweet potato or, grab a can of sweet potato puree for this recipe.
Maple Syrup: This cake is sweetened entirely with maple syrup!
Vegan Butter: My recommendation for this recipe is Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks.
Non-Dairy Milk: I used oat milk, but use any non-dairy milk you like.
Pumpkin Pie Spice: This cake is well-spiced with plenty of pumpkin pie spice! If you don't have pumpkin pie spice in your baking cabinet, I'll leave a spice blend in the recipe card for you.
This cake would be so delicious with a masala chai spice blend instead of the pumpkin pie spice.
This cake is super quick and easy to make.
First whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and spices in a medium bowl.
Then, in a large bowl, combine melted vegan butter, maple syrup, mashed baked sweet potato, non-dairy milk and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
Then, add the dry ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
Now, pour the batter into a prepared 8" round cake pan and spread evely.
And finally, bake the cake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
What to Frost the Cake With
To frost this cake, I used my Vegan Vanilla Buttercream, which I also included in the recipe card.
Whichever frosting you choose, you will only need half of a recipe to frost this cake!
Top Recipe Tips
Allow the cake to cool completely before topping it with frosting. If the cake is even a little bit warm, it will melt the frosting and leave you will a mess.
To store this Vegan Maple Sweet Potato Cake recipe, place the cake into a container with an airtight lid and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I don't recommend freezing this recipe.
Looking for More Spice Recipes to Try?
Vegan Maple Sweet Potato Cake Recipe
- 1 8" Round Cake Pan
- 2 Mixing Bowls, 1 medium, 1 large
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer for the frosting, optional
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 ¼ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice See Note
- 8 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted
- ¾ Cup Maple Syrup
- ½ Cup Mashed Baked Sweet Potato See note
- ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Vanilla Frosting
- 1 Stick Vegan Butter, room temperature
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
To Make the Cake
- Grease an 8" round cake pan and insert a parchment circle into the bottom. Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to combine and set aside.1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 3 ¼ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter, maple syrup, sweet potato, non-dairy milk and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.8 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted, ¾ Cup Maple Syrup, ½ Cup Mashed Baked Sweet Potato, ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread with a spatula to even it out. Bake in a 350 *F oven for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a bowl using a hand mixer, cream the vegan butter until completely smooth.1 Stick Vegan Butter, room temperature
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined.2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Add the vanilla and non-dairy milk and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 1 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
To Frost the Cake
- Dollop the vanilla frosting around the top of the cake, then use the back of a spoon or an offset spatula to spread it out. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired. Serve.