This Vegan Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting only requires 4 ingredients and 10 minutes to make and is perfect on cakes, cupcakes and more!
Buttercream frosting is an important part of every bakers arsenal. It is used to decorate cakes, frost cupcakes and fill sandwich cookies. I love experimenting with new flavors of buttercream. And, this Vegan Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting is my new favorite for Fall. It complements all of the usual autumn baking flavors like apple, pumpkin and warm spices. But, best of all-- its ready in ten minutes using only 4 ingredients!
This recipe only requires 4 basic ingredients. Here is what you will need.
Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar sweetens the frosting and adds structure.
Vanilla Extract: For background flavor.
Molasses: Molasses is where all of the brown sugar flavor comes from. Be sure to use unsulphured molasses. I recommend Grandma's brand.
You will need either a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer for this recipe.
You will not be able to get this frosting light and fluffy mixing by hand.
Simple Steps to the Smoothest Buttercream Frosting
First, cream the vegan butter until its completely smooth.
Then, add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until its incorporated.
Next, add the vanilla and molasses and mix on medium speed until the Vegan Brown Sugat Buttercream Frosting is light and fluffy.
And now its ready to frost any cake or cupcake you want!
Top Recipe Tips
Be sure to sift your powdered sugar. This is a crucial step for smooth and fluffy buttercream frosting so font skip it!
Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl during each step of the buttercream-making process. This ensures that the buttercream is evenly mixed with no rogue vegan butter chunks. It does take a bit more effort, but the payoff is big!
This Vegan Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting makes the perfect frosting for my Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Or the perfect filling for these Vegan Chai Whoopie Pies.
Or you could use it to top this Biscoff Cake.
How Much Frosting Does This Make?
This frosting recipe yields 3 cups of frosting.
That is enough to frost:
A3-layer 6" cake.
A 2-layer 8" cake.
A dozen cupcakes.
Or fill 24 sandwich cookies.
To store, scrape the Vegan Brown Sugar Frosting into a container with a tight-fitting lid and keep it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Or, freeze for up to 2 months.
Looking For More Buttercream Recipes?
Vegan Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment or Hand Mixer
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Sifter
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 16 tablespoon Vegan Butter, room temperature See note
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoon Unsulphured Molasses
- Cream vegan butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a hand mixer.16 tablespoon Vegan Butter, room temperature
- Add the powdered sugar into the mixer and, mix on low for about 1 minute. Scrape the bowl with a spatula to be sure everything is evenly incorporated.4 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Add vanilla and molasses and mix on medium speed until the frosting is light and fluffy. About 1-2 minutes. Scrape the bowl down a couple of times through this mixing process.1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 3 tablespoon Unsulphured Molasses
- Now, fill cookies, frost a cake, or eat with a spoon. This buttercream will keep in your fridge for up to a week and can be frozen for up to a month!
Let me know how you liked this recipe and what you used it for frost or fill!