This Vegan Strawberry Frosting is an American style buttercream that gets its color and flavor from freeze dried strawberries. Its light, fluffy and delicious!
This Vegan Strawberry Frosting is a quick and easy frosting recipe. Its only requires 5 ingredients. And the color is beautiful and the strawberry flavor is intense. This recipe is the perfect way to add some color into your baked goods.
Vegan Butter: I use Soy-Free Earth Balance in all of my baking. Its my favorite in flavor and texture.
Freeze Dried Strawberries: An entire packet of freeze dried strawberries give this buttercream its color and flavor. My favorite place to buy these is Trader Joes, simply because the price is good.
Confectioners Sugar: Regular old powdered sugar.
Vanilla: A bit of vanilla extract for background flavor.
Lemon Juice: And a bit of lemon juice helps bring out the strawberry flavor.
This Vegan Strawberry Buttercream Frosting is incredibly simple to make.
First, cream the vegan butter. Then, add the powdered sugar and strawberry powder. Then, stream in the vanilla and lemon juice and mix until fluffy. Thats it!
You need two important pieces of equipment for this strawberry buttercream recipe. First, is a food processor or blender to grind the freeze dried strawberries. Its important to grind them as fine as possible so the buttercream is smooth.
Second, is a stand mixer or hand mixer. You simply cannot achieve a light and fluffy buttercream mixing by hand.
Use this Vegan Strawberry Frosting immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To use the buttercream from the fridge, allow to sit at room temperature for one hour. Then, scoop the buttercream back into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to whip back up until soft.
Or, freeze it. The best way to freeze buttercream is to store it in any airtight container. Freeze for up to a month.
Place the frozen container in the refrigerator the day before you plan to use it. That way it has time to slowly thaw. Then, pull from the fridge an hour before you plan to use it. Then scoop the buttercream back into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to whip back up until soft.
Looking for More Vegan Frosting Recipes?
Dairy-Free Buttercream by: Minimalist Baker
Vegan Strawberry Frosting
- 1 Food Processor or Blender
- 1 Stand Mixer
- 1 Sifter
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Spatula
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 Sticks Vegan Butter room temperature
- 3 ½ Cups Confectioners Sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ Cups Freeze Dried Strawberries This is an entire 1.2 oz packet
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1-3 teaspoon Non-Dairy Milk Optional
- Add the freeze dried strawberries into the bowl on a food processor or blender. Process until the berries turn into a fine powder.1 ½ Cups Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the vegan butter. Cream the butter until soft, scraping down the sides of the bowl regularly.2 Sticks Vegan Butter
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and the processed strawberry powder into the bowl. Mix on low until combined. Scrape the bowl down.3 ½ Cups Confectioners Sugar, sifted
- Turn the speed up to medium and slowly stream in the vanilla and lemon juice.1 teaspoon Vanilla, 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Now allow to mix until light and fluffy, about one minute. If you want you buttercream to be softer, add a bit of the optional non-dairy milk here until the desired consistency is reached.1-3 teaspoon Non-Dairy Milk
- Use as desired.