This Vegan Apple Spice Cake recipe is full of well-spiced and has chunks of fresh apple. Its easy to make, super moist and absolutely delicious!
This Vegan Apple Spice Cake is incredibly easy to make. It is super moist while still being sturdy enough to build a layer cake. Its also so really flavorful from chunks of sweet-tart Honeycrisp apple, and a hefty dose of cinnamon, ginger, and allspice. This cake is the perfect way to kick off your Autumn baking!
Flour: This recipe uses regular all-purpose flour. And if you've been here for a while, you know I only recommend King Arthur Flour.
Leaveners: A comination of baking powder and baking soda help this cake rise high and keep it nice and light.
Spices: Cinnamon, ginger and allspice are the spices I chose to make this apple cake. They all pair SO well with the flavor of apple.
Salt: For balance.
Plant Milk: As usual, I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk as the plant milk, but any plant milk will do!
Granulated Sugar: Sugar keeps goods soft and moist, provides structure and promotes browning.
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice activates the baking soda.
Honeycrisp Apple: I chose Honeycrisp for this Vegan Spiced Apple Cake because I love the tart flavor. You can also use Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Fugi.
This Vegan Apple Spice Cake comes together so fast.
First, peel and chop the apple. I recommend shooting for quarter-inch pieces.
Then, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. Whisk to combine.
Next, in a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, non-dairy milk, canola oil, lemon juice and vanilla.
Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
Now, add the chopped apple and fold with a spatula.
Finally, portion into prepared cake pans and bake!
How to Stack a Layer Cake
Stacking a cake may sound intimidating, but with a little practice, I know you can do it.
To start by place a cake layer upside down on a cake board or cake stand.
Then, scoop about a half of a cup of frosting onto the cake layer and use a knife or offset spatula to spread it out.
Then, top with another cake layer and repeat!
Then use the same knife or offset spatula to spread frosting around the exterior of the cake.
Top Recipe Tip
Once the Vegan Apple Spice Cake layers are cool, place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes before you start decorating.
This will make the cake firm so it doesn't move around while you frost it.
My Favorite Cake Pans
My favorite cake pan brand is Fat Daddios. The pans are sturdy, bake super evenly and my cakes never stick to them.
My most used size are these 6-inch pans.
Cake Size Options
I baked this Vegan Apple Spice Cake into 3 six-inch cake layers.
This recipe can also be baked as 2 eight-inch cakes, but you will need to adjust the baking time a bit. I'd start with 28 minutes. Just be sure to test the cakes with a toothpick for doneness.
To store this Vegan Apple Spice Cake, place it in a cake box or large container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Or, if you just have a couple of slices, place them into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I don't recommend freezing the finished frosted cake.
Looking for More Autumn Recipes?
Vegan Spiced Apple Cake
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Sifter
- Cake Pans 3 6" pans, or 2 8" pans
- 1 Stand Mixer For the frosting
- 1 Offset Spatula or Butter Knife For frosting the cake
- 1 ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ¾ C + 2 Tbsp Non-Dairy Milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Medium Honeycrisp Apple, peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch cubes this will be about ¾ cup cubed apple.
For the Frosting
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter I like Soy-Free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
For the Cake Layers
- Preheat oven to 375* F. Prepare your cake pans with non-stick spray and cut parchment circles for the bottom of the pans. This recipe will make 3 6" cake layers or 2 8" cake layers.
- Into a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Whisk to combine.1 ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 2 teaspoon Cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoon Ginger, ¼ teaspoon Allspice
- In a large bowl, combine dark brown sugar, non-dairy milk, canola oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, ¾ C + 2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk, ⅓ Cup Canola Oil, 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter. Then add the chopped apples and use a rubber spatula to fold into the batter until they are evenly distributed.½ Medium Honeycrisp Apple, peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- Portion batter evenly among your cake pans.
- Bake in a 375* F oven for 21-24 minutes for 6" layers, but a bit longer for the 8" layers.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake- it should come out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the vegan butter until smooth and creamy. Then add the sifted powdered sugar and mix on low until it starts to combine.1 Cup Vegan Butter, 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Add vanilla extract and turn the mixer to medium speed. Add non-dairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until the buttercream is light and fluffy.2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 1-2 tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
To Build the Cake
- Place a completely cooled cake layer upside down on a cake board or cake stand. Add about ½ cup of frosting to the top and use an offset spatula or a knife to spread the frosting to the edges. Top with another cake layer and repeat and top with the final layer.
- Use the remaining frosting to frost the exterior of the cake with the offset spatula or knife and garnish as desired.
Let me know how you liked this recipe!