I have been having so much fun decorating cakes lately. And I also have so many friends that have birthdays between September and December. And I always experiment with decoration techniques and brush up on the use of decorations I don’t use frequently on cakes that I make for friends. Its a great way to try something new. And often, I also test new cake recipes on friends. Like this brand new Honeycrisp Apple and Spice Cake.
I have been ON the pumpkin recipes this Fall already, but I don’t want to leave apples in the dust. Apples are amazing in baked goods. One of my favorite recipes I’ve made on Earthly Provisions is my Gluten-Free Bourbon Caramel Apple Crisp.
The flavor and texture of apples lend themselves to a whole host of baked goods. Its not often you find a fruit or veg that is great sautéd, roasted, raw or baked into something. And, the sweet-tart flavor of apples complements the warm spices we all think of when we think of Fall baking.
This Honeycrisp Apple and Spice Cake is incredibly easy- it uses my one bowl method, as usual because #lazy. It is incredibly moist while still being sturdy enough to build a layer cake. Its also so flavorful from chunks of sweet-tart honeycrisp apple, and a heft dose of cinnamon, ginger and allspice.
As usual, I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk as the plant milk, but any plant milk will do! I like this plant milk because I can buy it in a shelf-stable package. Then, I can always have it in my pantry!
I also used a variety of spices, but you can swap them all out for pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice. I just always tailor my spiced to whatever it is I’m baking. But either of those spice blends in any brand will work perfectly.
I baked Honeycrisp Apple an d Spice Cakes into 3 6″ cake layers. This recipe can also be baked as 2 8″ cakes OR as cupcakes. You will need to adjust the bake time just a bit. The cupcakes will probably take the same amount of time as the 6 inch cakes but the 8″ cakes will take at least 30 minutes. Just make sure a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes or cupcakes comes out clean and you’re golden!
You also don’t HAVE to use a honeycrisp apple here. Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Fugi will also work great. Honeycrisps are just my favorite.
Honeycrisp Apple and Spice Cake
- 1 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 C + 2 Tbsp Plant Milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Medium Honeycrisp Apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch cubes this will be about 3/4 cup cubed apple.
- Prepare your cake pans with non stick spray and cut parchment circles for the bottom of the pans. This recipe will either make 14 cupcakes, 3 6" cake layers or 2 8" cake layers.
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, plant milk, molasses, lemon juice, canola oil and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
- Fit a sifter over the bowl with the wet ingredients, being careful not to let the bottom of the sifter touch the liquid.
- Into the sifter, first measure the spices and salt, then the flour and then the baking powder and baking soda.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to combine everything.
- Finally, fold the apples in until they are evenly distributed.
- Portion batter evenly among your cake pans or cupcake tins.
- Bake in a 375* F oven for 23-26 minutes for the cupcakes or 6" layers, but a bit longer for the 8" layers.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake- it should come out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating!
Let me know how you liked this recipe!