Have I told you that I’m starting a cake business? I’m in the permitting process right now, but that means I’m testing lots of cake and frosting recipes which I plan to share here. Some people like to keep their recipes “secret” but how secret can the ingredients really be? Plus, I want people who don’t live in Boston the opportunity to bake one of my cakes for themselves!
Today I’m sharing my One-Bowl Gluten Free Chocolate Cake. Gluten free baking is a challenge. You have to use a pre-blended flour or your own blend of at least three flours to come close to the texture of gluten-filled cake. For this recipe, I used King Arthur’s gluten free all purpose flour blend for two reasons: It is available nationwide, and the bakeshop I work in was getting rid of some so I had it on hand. I would not recommend using a different flour blend in this recipe. I have worked with gluten free bake goods for years now and I know the impact that substituting a different flour (or even a different brand of the same flour) can impact a recipe.
However, if you can’t find this King Arthur gluten free all purpose for some reason, or if you have a favorite blend that you would like me to make a recipe with, please leave a comment down below. I’d be happy to make more gluten free goodies for you.
Other than the flour, this recipe is really straight forward. I measure all of the wet ingredients into a bowl, give them a whisk, then measure all the dry ingredients into a sifter and sift them on top of the wet ingredients in the same bowl and whisk everything together really well. You don’t have to worry about making your cakes tough when they are gluten-free because there is no gluten to activate by whisking- so whisk away!
Then I divided the batter into three 7inch pans and baked them until a toothpick came out with a few moist crumbs on it, let them cool and decorated as I liked.
This cake comes out tender and moist but is sturdy enough to build a layer cake. The chocolate flavor is perfect and comes through nicely when paired with vanilla or chocolate frosting. In other words, its my perfect chocolate cake. Just look at this beauty:
One-Bowl Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- 2/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups King Arthur Gluten Free All Purpose Flour not the cake mix
- 3/4 Cup + 2T Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, water, applesauce, oil and vanilla with a whisk. Over top of the bowl, place a sifter. Into the sifter, measure the flour, cocoa, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum. Whist well to combine. About 1 minute.
- Prepare your pans of choice by greasing the with a little coconut oil or pan spray. Portion batter into prepared pans and bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes for 7 inch cakes, 40-45 for 9 inch cakes, or 20-25 minutes for cupcakes. They are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean, with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Decorate as desired and devour with friends.
Let me know how this recipe worked for you and if there is anything you’d like to see me create!