I love muffins and quickbreads. There are endless flavor combinations and the methods are always easy. Its fun to play around with the ingredients to create different textures. So, I thought I'd try my hand at a gluten-free muffin using oat flour. So, I present these beautiful Gluten-Free Cinnamon Oat Muffins.
I have really been loving using homemade oat flour lately. (See Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Blondies) It's chewy, flavorful and retains moisture. 3 key characteristics that most other gluten free ingredients lack. Oat flour doesn't produce gluten free baked goods that are dry and crumbly. They are chewy and soft, all WITHOUT the need for xanthan gum! And thats maybe my favorite part. Xanthan gum is an incredibly expensive (but necessary) ingredient for a lot of gluten free baked goods. But oat flour is a great way to bridge the gap if you are just beginning to test gluten free baked goods out.
Another note about oat flour- make your own for this recipe. Blend about 2.5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats in either your blender or food processor. (See the first photo for texture reference.) I prefer to make my own oat flour for two reasons. First, I always have oats on hand. They are a staple in my house and I eat them all the time. Second, is I have a small pantry. And the fewer bags of various flour I need to keep around, the better.
Since the only flour in this recipe it oat, its important to let it hydrate. So, don't skip the sitting time. Combine the plant milk, oats and oat flour in the bowl first, then get everything else together. So, during this time, grease or line your muffin pan, measure out other ingredients, etc. But, if you skip the sitting time, your muffins will be gritty. Your patience will be rewarded.
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Oat Muffins are bake up soft, fluffy and full of brown sugar and cinnamon flavor. Which means they make your kitchen smell heavenly. And they aren't overly sweet- which is how I prefer my muffins. Plus, these babies are full of whole grain goodness and are perfect for any time of day.
Gluten-Free Brown Sugar Oat Muffins
- 2 Cups Homemade Oat Flour Blend about 2 ¾ Cups pf oats, then measure 2 Cups from there!
- ½ Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Molasses
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, oat flour and coconut milk. Stir well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350* and line a muffin tin with 10 liners.
- After 10 minutes have elapsed, add sugar, molasses, cinnamon, oil, salt and vanilla to the oat mixture. Stir well. It will be very thick at first, but it will loosen to a muffin batter consistency as you stir. It will take about 1 minute of stirring.
- Finally, add the baking powder and baking soda and stir well to combine.
- Fill muffin cups about ¾ of the way full. You will get 10-11 muffins.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 23-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and enjoy!