These Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins are easy to make and stay super moist for days thanks to applesauce and melted vegan butter. And they only require about 10 minutes to mix together!
Muffins are the easiest breakfast. Make them once and freeze them and they stay fresh for weeks! I love playing with different flavors like Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins, and different flours like these Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Muffins. I even like to turn them into cinnamon rolls like these No Yeast Cinnamon Roll Muffins!
Today, though we're going a little more traditional with the classic combination of cranberry and orange.
You will love these muffins because they bake up soft, moist and super flavorful! And make the best quick breakfast or mid-day snack.
Dried Cranberries: I found fresh cranberries to be too tart for this recipe. But, I didn't like the texture of just mixing dried cranberries straight into the batter. So, I soak them in hot water for 30 minutes, then drain them and add them. They are the perfect texture and since they are soaked, they help to keep the muffins moist.
Vegan Butter: You can use any vegan butter you like, but lately I've been testing out Violife and I really like it!
Orange Zest: This Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffin recipe has the zest of an entire orange in it! All the orange flavor lives in the zest, so no flavorings or extracts are required.
If you don't love orange, make these vegan muffins cranberry lemon flavor by swapping in lemon zest!
Or, if you don't have cranberries on hand, use another dried fruit. Dried cherries, blueberries or even chopped dried figs would be delicious.
Step 1. Rub the orange zest with granulated sugar to release the oils in the zest.
Step 2. Then, add the melted vegan butter, apple sauce, non-dairy milk and vanilla and whisk together well.
Step 3. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to form the batter.
Step 4. Add the soaked, drained cranberries into the muffin batter and fold with a spatula to distribute.
Step 5. Here is what the finished vegan cranberry orange muffin batter should look like.
Step 6. Finally, scoop the batter into a lined muffin tin, top with streusel and bake!
Expert Tips and Tricks
Once the dry ingredients are added to the bowl, whisk only until the batter is formed, then use a spatula to fold the cranberries in.
This will prevent any over mixing.
Store the muffins in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to 4 days. Or, freeze for a month.
Yes! In the recipe card, there is even a 2x and 3x button. Press one and it will do the math for you.
Once you mix the batter, I recommend you go ahead and bake the muffins. But, these muffins stay moist for days! So bake them up to 2 days ahead of planning to serve them.
Looking for More Vegan Breakfast Recipes?
If you tried this Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 2 Medium Mixing Bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Muffin Tin
- Paper Muffin Liners
- ¾ Cup Sweetened Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup Hot Water
- 2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- The Zest of One Orange
- ⅔ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 7 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted
- ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Streusel
- ¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine the dried cranberries and hot water. Allow the cranberries to soak for 30 minutes.¾ Cup Sweetened Dried Cranberries, 1 Cup Hot Water
Make the Streusel
- Meanwhile, make the streusel. Combine the flour, sugar and melted butter in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined and crumbly. Set aside.¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour, ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar, 2 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted
Make the Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.2 Cup All-Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- In a large bowl, combine granulated sugar and orange zest, use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar. This will release the oils in the zest.¾ Cup Granulated Sugar, The Zest of One Orange
- Into the large bowl, add the applesauce, melted vegan butter, non-dairy milk and vanilla. Whisk well.⅔ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce, 7 tablespoon Vegan Butter, melted, ½ Cup Non-Dairy Milk, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter. Then, drain the cranberries well and add them to the batter. Use a spatula to gently fold them in.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan, filling each cup almost all the way. Then top each muffin with about a tablespoon of streusel.
- Bake in a 350* F for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before serving.