Need taco topping ideas? Cilantro Lime Red Cabbage Slaw is the perfect slaw for tacos. Its adds brightness, freshness and flavor to any taco filling.
As soon as the weather warms up, all I want are tacos. I love them because tacos are so fast to make. And pretty much anything tastes good in a taco. I don't know how its possible, but its the truth.
How to Make Red Cabbage Slaw
Cilantro Lime Red Cabbage Slaw is SO easy to make and its the perfect slaw for tacos and burrito bowls. It only requires a 5 ingredients and a few minutes to make.
Here is what you will need:
Finely sliced red cabbage: I like to slice my own but you can also use store bought shredded cabbage.
Finely Sliced Red Onion: this gives the slaw a ton of flavor.
Cilantro: This adds so much flavor, but if you don't like cilantro, you can leave it out and this slaw is still delicious.
Lime Juice: Lime juice adds brightness to this Cilantro Lime Red Cabbage Slaw. And it helps break down the cabbage making the slaw easier to chew. I like to keep store bought lime juice on hand at all times.
Salt: Here, salt seasons and also helps break the cabbage down.
Once the ingredients are all combined, massage the slaw with your hands. Squeeze tightly and make sure everything is well combined. The slaw will start to change color to a brighter purple. And thats when its done!
And thats it!
Taco Topping Ideas
Other than this red cabbage slaw, top your tacos with with a sprinkle of finely chopped onion, slices of avocado or chopped tomato. Or if you're feeling ambitious make these recipes:
Cilantro Lime Avocado Crema
This Cilantro Lime Red Cabbage Slaw will level up any taco you put it on. It adds freshness, crunch and the perfect touch of acidity. And, its great in burritos, and on burrito bowls!
Cilantro Lime Red Cabbage Slaw
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
- 4 Cups Finely Sliced Red Cabbage about ½ of a small red cabbage
- ½ Cup Sliced Red Onion about ¼ of a large red onion
- ½ Cup Cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoon Lime Juice
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt ¼ teaspoon if using fine grain salt
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
- Massage with your hands, squeezing the cabbage for about 3 minutes. This helps break the cabbage down a bit, making it easier to eat.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.