These Sparkling Margaritas with Lime Salt are light and refreshing thanks to the addition on a bit of sparkling water or seltzer at the end. The perfect Summer cocktail!
This is a basic margarita recipe with one twist: I top it with a little seltzer. It lightens the drink up and gives it a little fizz that is so nice. And its been a favorite in my house for many years now. Best of all, you need only 4 ingredients and a few minutes to shake them up.
These Sparkling Margaritas only have a few ingredients. Here is what you will need:
Cointreau: Cointreau is a brand of triple sec. And I recommend Cointreau rather than generic triple sec. Its expensive, but you can taste the difference. And one bottle will last a lifetime.
Lime Juice: Fresh squeezed, please!
Agave Nectar: A bit of agave to balance the cocktail.
Sparkling Water: To make these margaritas fizzy, add seltzer or sparkling water to top them off!
How to Make Lime Salt
The salted rim is the perfect place to add a little additional flavor. And in this case, we're making lime salt.
To make it, zest half a lime onto a tablespoon of kosher salt.
Then, use your fingers to rub the lime into the salt for about 10 seconds and thats it!
How to Make a Margarita
These Sparking Water Margaritas come together in a flash!
First, make the lime salt on a small plate.
Then, run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass and swirl the rim in the lime salt. Set the glass aside.
Next, add tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, and agave nectar to a cocktail shaker.
Now, add about 4 large ice cubes to the shaker and shake for 30 seconds.
Then, add 3 large ice cubes into the prepared glass and strain into the glass.
Finally, top the margarita with sparkling water and enjoy!
Fresh Lime Juice is Best
Fresh lime juice is the ONLY way for these Sparkling Margaritas. You should be able to squeeze an ounce of lime juice out of one lime.
So, you need about 1 lime per cocktail.
How Do You Know if Liquor is Vegan?
I love the website Barnivore.
You can search any brand of any type of alcohol to see whether its vegan or not.
What to Serve with Margaritas
These Sparkling Margaritas are delicious with so many foods! But here are a few of my favorites:
Chips and Guacamole
Chips and Salsa
Top Recipe Tip
Do not substitute table salt for kosher salt for the lime salt rim of these Sparkling Seltzer Margaritas. Table salt is too fine and will taste way too salty.
If you have a large batch and have a bit left over, pour into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
I don't recommend you store this recipe for any longer than 1 day.
Looking for More Drinks?
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Cocktail Jigger or other way to measure
- 1 Glass
- 1 Small Plate
- 1 Microplane for zesting
- 2 oz Tequila Blanco
- 1 oz FreshLime Juice
- ½ oz Cointreau
- 1 teaspoon Agave Nectar or more to taste
- ⅓ Cup Plain Seltzer
For the Lime Salt
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt do not substitute table salt
- Zest of Half a Lime
- Add the kosher salt onto a small plate. Zest half a lime onto the salt. Then, rub the zest into the salt with your fingers for about 10 seconds. You should smell the lime.1 tablespoon Kosher Salt, Zest of Half a Lime
Make the Sparkling Margarita
- Rub the rim of a glass with a lime wedge. Then swirl the rim in the lime salt. Set aside.
- Into a cocktail shaker add the tequila, cointreau, lime juice and agave nectar. Add about 4 large ice cubes into the shaker. Place the lid on and shake well for about 20 seconds.2 oz Tequila Blanco, 1 oz FreshLime Juice, ½ oz Cointreau, 1 teaspoon Agave Nectar
- Fill the prepared glass with ice. Strain the margarita into the glass.
- Top with seltzer and serve.⅓ Cup Plain Seltzer
Let me know how you like this recipe!