This recipe is wild and I know it but you’re just going to have to trust me. While it doesn’t seem like this recipe will turn into salsa con queso at the end, it does. It becomes the most velvety, creamy + cheesy sauce you can possibly imagine.
Dip your chips into it, put it on tacos, burrito or quesadillas or you can wait for my next very special recipe— a VEGAN CRUNCH WRAP!! Yes, that’s right- a homemade vegan Crunch Wrap. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Were making queso today.
This recipe calls for soaked sunflower seeds. I never think of soaking ahead of time, so I put my nuts or seeds into a container, boil water and pour the water over the nuts or seeds and try to let them soak for an hour. Then drain them and use them. But be sure that you are using raw unsalted sunflower seeds.
You will also need a good blender for this recipe. I have a Vitamix which is a high speed blender, capable of turning grains of rice into rice flour. I used to have a ninja and quite frankly I don’t think the big ninja blender would be able to do a good enough job here. I do think it would work in the smaller ninja personal cups or in a magic bullet though. I always felt like the smaller cups blended far better than the big blender.
Once you have your seeds soaked and your good blender ready, you just cook potatoes and carrots and blend away. Get your chips ready, people. Its queso time.
Salsa Con Queso
- 1 1/2 Cups Peeled and Diced Russet Potato
- 1/2 Cup Peeled + Chopped Carrot
- 1/4 Cups Raw Unsalted Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 6 Tbsp Salsa whatever your favorite kind is
- 6-8 Tbsp Water
- To quick soak the sunflower seeds, place the seeds in a heatproof container, then boil water and pour enough water over the seeds to cover by 1/2 an inch. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Drain.
- Boil carrot and potato in a medium saucepan until soft and completely cooked through.
- Into a blender add cooked carrot and potato, soaked sunflower seeds, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, salsa, nutritional yeast and 4 tablespoons of water. Blend on high for a few at least 2 minutes until completely smooth adding more water, a tablespoon at a time until the queso reaches your desired consistency. I stopped at 6 tablespoons.
- The queso will be warm from all of the blending, so just pour into a bowl and serve!
Let me know how you liked this recipe!