This Blanton's Old Fashioned recipe comes together in 5 minutes and has a bit of maple syrup in it making it taste like Autumn. This is the perfect simple cocktail.
An Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail made of whiskey, bitters, sweetener and an orange peel garnish. It is simple, timeless and delicious. Its one of my favorites for a couple of reasons: I don't need to keep many ingredients on hand, and I don't even need to wash a shaker when I'm done. The flavor is deep and warming, so this Blanton's Old Fashioned is perfect for the Autumn and Winter.
Ingredients for Making A Blanton's Old Fashioned
Bourbon: I use Blanton's Original in this old fashioned. But you can, of course, use any quality bourbon that you like. I also love Makers Mark Makers 46, Woodford Reserve and Four Roses Single Barrel.
Maple Syrup: Traditionally, Old Fashioned recipes call for sugar, but I love maple syrup. The flavors complement each other nicely.
Angostura Bitters: Angostura Aromatic Bitters is a tincture of herbs and spices. Bitters are used in really small amounts because they are so potent. Two shakes is all you need, here.
Ice: Ice is added to make the cocktail cold, of course, but to also dilute the drink just a bit. Don't use crushed ice. It will dilute the drink too much.
Orange Peel: The orange peel garnish is tempting to skip but don't. The peel has all of the orange essential oils in it and it really imparts its flavor into this Blanton's Old Fashioned.
How to Make an Old Fashioned
You only need 5 minutes, a glass and a bar spoon to make this Blanton's Old Fashioned recipe.
First, into the glass add maple syrup and a dash of bitters. Mix it together with the spoon.
Next, add 3 large ice cubes.
Then, add the bourbon and stir with a spoon for about 1 minute. I know it seems long, but its important to dilute the cocktail a bit.
Now, twist the orange peel over the glass. This expresses the essential oils.
Finally, add the orange peel into the glass.
And thats it. Super quick and no shaker to clean up.
Looking For More Cocktails?
Negroni Sbagliato by: Serious Eats
Blanton's Old Fashioned
- 1 Old Fashioned Glass really any glass will work
- 1 Bar Spoon or long handled spoon
- 1 Vegetable Peeler
- 1.5 oz Blanton's Original Bourbon 1.5 oz is 1 full shot glass
- 1.5 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 1 2-3 inch peel of orange peeled with a vegetable peeler
- 3 Large Ice Cubes
- Into a cocktail glass, add maple syrup and bitters. Stir with a bar spoon.1.5 oz Blanton's Original Bourbon, 1.5 teaspoon Maple Syrup, 2 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- Into the glass add ice cubes and bourbon into the glass. Stir with a bar spoon for about 1 minute to properly dilute the cocktail.3 Large Ice Cubes
- Twist the orange peel into a spiral to release the oils, then add to the glass. Serve.1 2-3 inch peel of orange