This Vegan Avocado Crema recipe is one of the BEST taco toppings. Its easy to make and goes well with any taco filling!
I love avocados. I'm always dreaming up new ways to use and eat them. And this recipe is my favorite one yet! I like to put this vegan crema on tacos, dollop it onto burrito bowls or use it as a salad dressing. Its super versatile and really simple to make.
Avocado: Make sure you use a ripe one. The avocado should give to light pressure. Simply gently press into the side of the avocado to test. And if it feels hard, wait.
Jalapeño: This adds freshness and a little spice to this Vegan Avocado Crema Recipe. But if you're sensitive to spice, start with ¼ of a jalapeño.
Cilantro: I love cilantro and add it to any Mexican inspired dish I make. But, if you don't like it you can leave it out.
Lime Juice: Lime juice adds the tang that would traditionally come from sour cream. I usually buy a a big bottle of Santa Cruz Lime Juice and keep it in my fridge.
Salt and Garlic Powder: For added flavor.
Water: To thin the crema to the desired consistency. We're going for looser than guacamole, but not runny.
Traditional crema is a mixture of sour cream and heavy cream. But here, we use a few plant based ingredients to create a similar texture. Here's how its done:
First, add the avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, garlic powder, salt and 6 tablespoons of water into the bowl of a blender or small food processor.
Then, blend on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Now, if the crema is too thick, adjust the consistency using up to two more tablespoons of water.
And thats it. This seriously one of the easiest and best taco toppings!
This Vegan Avocado Crema recipe will blend easier in a smaller blender like a magic bullet. Or, in a mini food processor if you have one.
I used a large blender, which works, too. But, you will have to use a spatula to scrape the sides of the blender a few times to make sure everything gets blended.
To store this Vegan Avocado Crema, transfer to an airtight container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the crema.
Do not freeze.
Place in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Looking for Some Tacos to Put This Crema On?
Sweet Potato and Broccoli Tacos
This Avocado Lime Crema will level up any taco you put it on. It adds creamy tangy flavor in one dollop!
Vegan Avocado Crema
- 1 Blender
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Large Ripe Avocado
- ½ Medium Jalapeño, seeds removed
- ¼ Cup Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt Less if using fine grain
- 6-8 tablespoon Cold Water
- Into your blender add avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, garlic powder and salt.1 Large Ripe Avocado, ½ Medium Jalapeño, seeds removed, ¼ Cup Cilantro, 1 tablespoon Lime Juice, ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Add 6 tablespoon of water and blend. If you are using a large blender, you will have to scrape the bowl down a few times to make sure everything is blended.6-8 tablespoon Cold Water
- If desired, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of water, to adjust to your preferred consistency and blend to combine.
- Drizzle over your tacos and serve! Or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for no more than 2 days.