Buffalo Tofu Chicken Wings are baked until crispy and tossed with buffalo sauce for an easy and delicious snack, appetizer or part of a meal! They are easy to make, have big flavor and only require 6 ingredients. Even tofu skeptics will love this recipe!
This recipe is the perfect appetizer to serve for a game day, like the Super Bowl, or any other get together with friends or family. Put a plate of these Buffalo Tofu Chicken Wings on a table with some chips, Corn Salsa and Avocado Pico de Gallo and your guests will be so happy!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
I know you are going to love this recipe. Here are the top 5 reasons why:
- This recipe only requires 6 basic ingredients.
- The Buffalo Tofu Wings are baked, not fried which is super simple to do.
- They have big spicy buffalo sauce flavor!
- Even the tofu skeptics will love them.
- And they are gluten-free so anyone can enjoy them!
Tofu: Be sure to but extra firm tofu for this recipe. It will stay tender on the inside but get crispy on the outside.
Buffalo Wing Sauce: I love Frank's Wing Sauce, so thats what I use and recommend! I use it in all my buffalo recipes like my Buffalo Chickpea Wraps. You can use a different brand, or even make your own with hot sauce and vegan butter.
Cornstarch: Tossing the tofu nuggets in cornstarch will crisp them up in the oven so you are left with crisp Buffalo Tofu Chicken Wings.
Step 1. Drain the tofu and wrap it in a kitchen towel or a few paper towels to gently squeeze out some of the excess moisture. Set aside.
Step 2. In a wide shallow bowl, combine buffalo sauce, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the cornstarch to another wide shallow bowl.
Step 3. Use your hands to rip the tofu into about 1 ½-2 inch chunks and add it into the buffalo mixture.
Step 4. Gently toss to coat with a spoon or your hands.
Step 5. Working 2-3 nuggets at a time, place the tofu chunks into the cornstarch. Use a fork to flip them around to coat all sides.
Step 6. Place them onto a baking sheet being sure to leave some space between each tofu nugget.
Step 7. Bake, flipping every 15 minutes for about a total of 40 minutes, or until the tofu is crispy.
Step 8. Toss the tofu wings in buffalo sauce and serve immediately! I like to add some vegan ranch, celery sticks and carrot sticks to the serving plate.
To store, place the buffalo tofu chicken wings into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in an oven or in an air fryer.
Tofu has a mild neutral flavor. There is not much flavor to it which is why I add buffalo sauce and spices before cooking, and more buffalo sauce after cooking!
You need a starch, but it doesn't need to be cornstarch. So, if you can't do corn, try arrowroot powder instead!
Expert Recipe Tips
Be sure to tear the tofu with your hands- don't cube it with a knife! The rough edges created by ripping the tofu allow it to become crispier than clean cut cubes will get.
When coating the tofu nuggets in cornstarch, it is important to work a few at a time. If you crowd the bowl, it will be hard to get an even coating.
Looking for More Game Day Drinks and Snacks?
If you tried this Buffalo Tofu Wings recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Buffalo Tofu Wings
- 3 Wide Shallow Bowls
- 1 Kitchen Towel
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1 Pound Extra Firm Tofu
- ½ Cup Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon Buffalo Wing Sauce See note
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil or other neutral oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt half this amount if using table salt
To Toss the Baked Wings in
- ¼ Cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400* F oven and grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in a kitchen towel or a few paper towels. Squeeze gently to remove excess moisture. Set aside.1 Pound Extra Firm Tofu
- Add the cornstarch to a wide shallow bowl. Then, in another wide shallow bowl combine hot sauce, olive oil, garlic powder onion powder and salt. Whisk to combine.½ Cup Cornstarch, 3 tablespoon Buffalo Wing Sauce, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ teaspoon Onion Powder, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Use your hands to bread to tofu into about 1 ½-2 inch chunks. Place them into the buffalo sauce mixture and gently toss with a spoon or your hands to coat.
- Working a few at a time, place the coated tofu into the cornstarch and use a fork to turn them over to make sure each side is coated. See note!
- Transfer the tofu to a greased baking sheet and repeat with the remaining tofu.
- Bake in a 400* oven for a total of 35-40 minutes or until browned and crispy, stopping to flip the tofu every 15 minutes.
- Add wing sauce to a large bowl. Add the hot tofu nuggets and gently toss with a spoon to coat. Serve immediately.¼ Cup Buffalo Wing Sauce