Lentil Taco Filling is fast, flavorful and easy to make. This vegan lentil taco meat uses canned lentils and plenty of spices for a fast and flavorful dinner.
Tacos are a staple in my house. We have them at least once per week. They are easy, fast and versatile. And today I'm sharing my current favorite thing for stuff my tacos full of: Lentil Taco Filling.
This lentil taco filling is done SUPER fast thanks to canned lentils. It only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish making this recipe perfect for a weeknight. Now, lets talk about how to make them.
You only need a few pantry items and about 15 minutes to make this vegan lentil taco meat. Its truly SO easy. To make the filling you will need:
A can of lentils: lentils are rich in protein and iron. And they make up the bulk of this lentil taco filling. I usually buy Goya canned lentils, but any brand will work.
An onion and a clove of garlic: the onion and garlic add tons of flavor.
Taco seasoning mix: I always have store bought taco seasoning on hand. The brand I usually go for is McCormick.
A little water: Most taco seasoning mixes have some sort of thickening flour whether it be corn flour or rice flour. So, adding some water allows that to hydrate and helps the spices bloom.
Taco Topping Ideas
I like to load this Lentil Taco Filling onto corn tortillas that have been warmed over the flame of my gas stove to get just a touch of char on them. Then I load them up with all of my favorite toppings.
These tacos are great with any toppings you like. But, I topped mine with
Cilantro Lime Red Cabbage Slaw
Looking for More Weeknight Meal Ideas?
Buffalo Cauliflower Rice Burritos
Vegan Gyros by: Ela Vegan
Lentil Taco Filling
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Fine Mesh Strainer
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Large Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic
- 1 Can of Lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon Taco Seasoning Mix
- 6 tablespoon Water
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.1 tablespoon Olive Oil, ½ Large Red Onion, finely chopped
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute.1 Large Clove of Garlic
- Add lentils and stir to combine.1 Can of Lentils, drained and rinsed
- Add taco seasoning and stir to combine, then immediately add water.2 tablespoon Taco Seasoning Mix, 6 tablespoon Water
- Cook for about one minute, stirring frequently until most of the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Quick lentil question. I know there are several different types of dried lentils. I have green ones right now. Would they work? If not, which dried ones are best for this recipe? Thanks so much!
Green will work here! Green or brown lentils are both great for this recipe, but not red or yellow as they get mushy when cooked.