This Vegetarian Vegan and Gluten Free Mexican Rice Recipe is a simple and flavorful way to jazz up rice for taco night, or for a burrito bowl. This veg Mexican rice recipe is also gluten free which makes it perfect for anyone with dietary restrictions!
Taco night is typically biweekly in my house. My husband and I LOVE tacos. They are quick, versatile and absolutely delicious. And, I always make either rice to beans to eat along with the tacos. And lately this Gluten Free Mexican Rice has absolutely been hitting the spot. By the way, this recipe is certainly not authentic, but it is delicious.
Ingredients for Making Gluten Free Mexican Rice
Jasmine Rice: I use white jasmine rice for this Vegan Mexican Rice recipe. This is definitely not authentic, but Jasmine rice is what is easily accessible for me. I add the rice into the pot after the spices and allow it to toast in the coconut oil for a minute. This keeps the rice grains separate and fluffy.
Coconut Oil: I used refined coconut oil to sauté the onion, garlic and spices. But, any neutral oil will work!
Onion and Garlic: The onions and garlic provide lots of flavor to this Vegan Mexican Rice recipe. Just make sure to chop them nice and small.
Tomato Paste: Tomato paste provides depth of flavor and umami to this vegetarian Mexican rice.
Paprika and Oregano: For added flavor,
Vegetable Stock: To keep this Mexican rice recipe veg friendly, be sure to use vegetable stock. My favorite is Better than Bullion Vegetable Base. I always keep a few jars in my pantry.
Lime Juice: Added just for a little brightness at the end.
How to Make Gluten Free Mexican Rice
I like to make this Gluten Free Mexican Rice in a Dutch Oven because it has a nice heavy lid and distributes heat evenly.
Start by sweating the onion over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
Then, add the garlic, tomato paste and spices and allow these to cook for an additional few minutes. This few minutes is really important. In this time the garlic will cook, the spices will bloom AND the tomato paste will slightly toast. That a lot of flavorful action in just a few minutes, so don't skip it!
Next, add the rinsed jasmine rice and allow the rice to toast for a couple minutes while stirring constantly. This will help keep the grains of rice separate and fluffy.
After the rice is toasted, add the veg stock and bring to a boil, cover and simmer- set a timer for 12 minutes. When the timer goes off, remove from heat but don't open the lid!
Allow the rice to steam in the pot for 10 minutes and THEN open the lid, add the lime juice, fluff with a fork and serve this Gluten Free Mexican Rice along side tacos, in a burrito bowl or roll it up into a burrito.
Looking for More Taco Night Recipes?
Gluten Free Mexican Rice
- Cutting Board
- Chefs Knife
- Dutch Oven
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 tablespoon Refined Coconut Oil or other neutral tasting oil
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion, small dice
- 2 Medium Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Cup White Jasmine Rice, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 ¾ Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lime Juice
- Cilantro to Garnish, optional
- Heat a 2-3 quart heavy bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid, or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add oil and onions to the pot and sweat the onions for 3-4 minutes, or until they are translucent.
- Add garlic, oregano, paprika, and tomato paste. Sauté, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rinsed rice and stir. Allow rice to toast, stirring frequently for about 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and place the lid on. Set a timer for 12 minutes.
- Once 12 minutes have elapsed, remove the pot from heat, but don't open the lid. Set another timer for 10 minutes and allow the rise to steam in the residual heat. After 10 minutes have elapsed, add the lime juice, fluff with a fork and serve.