This Vegan Escarole and Bean Soup is an Italian classic. Its simple to make, filled with nourishing ingredients and pairs perfectly with a loaf of crusty bread.
I love soup season. Soups are incredibly versatile and easy to make. And who doesn't love a one-pot meal? Today I'm sharing my recipe for one of my all time favorite soups: Vegan Escarole and Bean Soup.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Escarole and Bean Soup
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a lot of flavor and the fat helps carry the other flavors in this soup.
Onion: A yellow onion, diced small.
Celery: A couple ribs of celery.
Carrot: And to round out the mirepoix, a couple carrots also diced small.
Garlic: Adds the most delicious flavor.
Vegetable Stock: I like to use Better Than Boullion, but any vegetable stock is fine.
White Beans: You can use navy beans, cannellini beans or northern beans.
Escarole: Escarole is a bitter green that looks kind of like a head of lettuce. A whole pound of it goes into this Vegan Escarole and Bean Soup.
Can You Substitute Escarole?
If you can't find escarole, I think the best substitute is kale or chard if you like the taste of chard.
Chard has a more similar texture to escarole but a much earthier flavor.
Kale has a heartier texture but a more neutral flavor.
I don't recommend spinach for this Vegan Escarole and Bean Soup.
How to Store the Soup
This Vegan Escarole and Bean Soup makes 8 cups so you will probably have some leftovers. Divide the soup among some containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Or if you made this soup ahead of time as a freezer meal, divide it among containers and freeze for up to a month. This recipe freezes really nicely!
Looking for More Soup Recipes?
Looking for More Soup Recipes?
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stew by: The First Mess
Vegan Bean and Escarole Soup
- 1 4 Quart Dutch Oven or Large Sauce Pan
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil plus more for serving
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, small dice about 1 ½ cups
- 2 Ribs Celery, small dice about ¾ cups
- 2 Medium Carrots, peeled and small dice about ¾ cups
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock I used Better Than Boullion
- 2 15oz Cans White Beans, drained and rinsed I used navy, but cannellini, or northern beans will work too
- 1 Pound Escarole, thoroughly washed and roughly chopped See note
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent. About 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock and stir.
- Add drained and rinsed white beans. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the all the vegetables are soft.
- Add escarole to the pot a couple handfuls at a time, stirring to push the greens down. It will look like SO much, but it will cook down.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the escarole has wilted and cooked through.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a big hunk of crusty bread.
Let me know how you liked this recipe!