Vegan Barley Vegetable Soup is the perfect thick and hearty stew to make all Fall and Winter long. Its warm, cozy and packed with layers of flavor. And this recipe makes a huge batch in one pot so its great for meal prepping with minimal cleanup!
Soups and stews are my favorite Fall and Winter meals for those reasons. I love to make a big batch of my Vegan Acorn Squash and White Bean Stew or my Vegan Escarole and Bean Soup. Or if I'm really in a hurry, I'll use my Instant Pot to make my Gluten-Free Instant Pot Lentil Stew in just 7 minutes!
Pearled Barley: There are many different types of barley, but the most common is pearled barley, so that's what I used here. Pearled barley has some of the bran removed, so it has a quicker cooking time.
Dry Red Wine: Dry red wine adds a ton of depth of flavor in this Vegan Barley Vegetable Soup. Use whatever you have on hand, but I used Pinot Noir.
Diced Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes also add umami to the stew.
Vegetable Stock: I love to use Better Than Boullion for my vegetable stock. It tastes great and you can make exactly how much you need!
If you don't drink or cook with alcohol, leave it out and add ¾ cup more vegetable stock. The soup will still be absolutely delicious!
If you are missing the carrot, celery or potato, use whatever you have! This Vegan Barley Vegetable Soup would be delicious with mushrooms, butternut squash, zucchini or green beans!
This Vegan Barley Stew is so easy to make. Here is how:
First, sauté the onion, celery and carrot in olive oil until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
Then, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Next, add the potato, barley, tomatoes, vegetable stock, wine, thyme and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 45 mintues.
Once the barley is tender, remove the soup from the heat and add the frozen peas.
Finally, taste for seasoning and serve!
Expert Tips and Tricks
Try your best to cut the vegetables the same size so they cook evenly.
This is a large recipe, so you will need a 5-quart pot to cook it in. My Dutch oven is 3.5 Quart and it barely fit. So, I definitely recommend using a pot larger than mine!
To store this Vegan Barley Vegetable Soup, transfer it to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze, I recommend storing in smaller containers, line pints, for easy defrosting. Then, freeze for up to a month.
Looking For More Easy Dinners?
Vegan Barley Vegetable Soup
- 1 5 Quart Dutch Oven or Large Pot
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, small dice
- 3 Medium Carrots, small dice
- 3 Small Ribs Celery, small dice
- 3 Medium Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Medium Potato, small dice
- ¾ Cup Pearled Barley
- 1 14.5 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 6 Cups Vegetable Stock
- ¾ Cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves
- 3 Bay Leaves
- ½ Cup Frozen Peas
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion, celery and carrot in olive oil until they begin to soften. 5-7 minutes.2 tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 Large Onion, small dice, 3 Medium Carrots, small dice, 3 Small Ribs Celery, small dice
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.3 Medium Cloves Garlic, minced
- Then add potatoes, barley, tomatoes, vegetable stock, red wine, thyme, bay leaves and some black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer with the lid on for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.1 Medium Potato, small dice, ¾ Cup Pearled Barley, 1 14.5 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes, 6 Cups Vegetable Stock, ¾ Cup Dry Red Wine, 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves, 3 Bay Leaves
- After 45 minutes have elapsed turn the heat off and add the frozen peas. Then taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.½ Cup Frozen Peas, Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Serve immediately or portion into airtight containers and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 1 month.