This Vegan Zucchini Pasta recipe is easy, full of flavor and perfect for weeknights! Its creamy, bright and is topped with delicious toasted garlic breadcrumbs.Jump to Recipe
This pasta is the perfect weeknight recipe. Its full of flavor, veggies and the toasted garlic bread crumbs take it to the next level. This recipe is sure to make it into your weeknight rotation- especially for zucchini season!
Spaghetti: Any pasta will work here, but spaghetti is my favorite for this pasta. My favorite brand is DeCecco.
Zucchini: It wouldn't be Vegan Zucchini Pasta without zucchini. Slice a big zucchini thinly, for this pasta.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: For sautéing.
Shallot: You can also use a small onion if you can't find a shallot.
Garlic: For extra flavor.
Green Olives: I recommend Manzanilla or Cerignola. Castelvetrano olives will also work!
Lemon Zest and Juice: To brighten this dish up.
Vegan Parmesan: The vegan parmesan melts with the pasta water to make a creamy sauce.
Basil: To garnish.
Garlic Toasted Bread Crumbs: These are super flavorful and crispy. The perfect texture contrast!
Garlic Toasted Bread Crumbs
The toasted garlic bread crumbs are so easy to make and really level this Vegan Zucchini Pasta recipe up.
And you don't need an extra pan!
Make them first, then wipe the pan and make the rest of the pasta in the same pan.
To make them, simply combine olive oil, minced garlic and breadcrumbs over medium heat until the breadcrumbs start to brown.
Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a small bowl until the end!
This Vegan Zucchini Pasta is easy and quick, so make sure you have all of the ingredients ready.
Start by sautéing the zucchini. Once its browned and beginning to become translucent
Then, add the pasta to salted boiling water. By the time its done, it should be the perfect time to add it into the pan.
Next, sweat the shallot in olive oil until it starts the become translucent. Then add the garlic.
Now, add the chopped olives, lemon zest and juice and a pinch of crushed red pepper flake.
Once the pasta is al dente, reserve ½ cup of pasta water and drain the pasta.
Then, add the pasta, pasta water and vegan parmesan to the pan, tossing until the sauce has thickened and starts to cling to the pasta, about 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the basil.
Plate up the Vegan Zucchini Pasta, and top with plenty of garlic breadcrumbs.
The Best Vegan Parmesan
The only vegan parmesan I recommend is Follow Your Heart brand.
But, if you know you like another brand, use it here! I Follow Your Heart is just the only one I personally like and purchase.
Top Recipe Tip
When sautéing the zucchini, put it into the hot pan and don't move it in the first couple minutes so the zucchini can get nice and brown from contact with the pan.
Browned veggies have more flavor, so this will add an extra layer of flavor to the pasta.
Reserve Pasta Water for a Creamier Sauce
Before straining the pasta, reserve some pasta water to add to create the sauce.
Pasta water has starch from the pasta, so it will thicken the sauce and help it cling to the spaghetti.
It will make the sauce for this Vegan Zucchini Pasta creamy and delicious!
To store this Vegan Zucchini Pasta, place it into a container with a tight-fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Looking for More Easy Pasta Recipes?
Pasta Primavera by: Ambitious Kitchen
Vegan Zucchini Pasta
- 1 Large Skillet
- 1 Large Pasta Pot
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Microplane
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
For the Garlic Toasted Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic, minced
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- Pinch of Salt and Black Pepper
For the Pasta
- 8 oz Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 8 oz Zucchini, sliced into ⅛" rounds This is one large zucchini
- 1 Large Shallot, sliced or a small onion
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic, Minced
- ⅓ Cup Green Olives, drained and roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 ½ tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Cup Vegan Parmesan
- ½ Cup Basil, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Full a large pasta pot with water and bring it to a boil.
Make the Bread Crumbs
- Meanwhile in a large 12" over medium heat skillet make the breadcrumbs. Combine extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic and the bread crumbs and stir occasionally until they are lightly browned and toasted, about 3 minutes.1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 Large Clove of Garlic, minced, ½ Cup Breadcrumbs, Pinch of Salt and Black Pepper
- Transfer the toasted bread crumbs to a small bowl and set aside, wipe the skillet and return it to the stove.
Sauté the Zucchini
- Return the pan used to make the bread crumbs to medium meat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the sliced zucchini and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided, 8 oz Zucchini, sliced into ⅛" rounds
- Don't move the zucchini for 2 minutes to allow it to brown, then flip it and continue cooking until it starts to look translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the pan and onto a small plate or bowl.
- Return the skillet to the stove.
Cook the Spaghetti
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water until al dente.8 oz Spaghetti
Finish the Pasta
- While the spaghetti cooks, add one tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet over medium head and add the shallot. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided, 1 Large Shallot, sliced, Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.1 Large Clove of Garlic, Minced
- Add chopped olives, lemon zest, lemon juice and a pinch of crushed red pepper flake and cook for 1 minute.⅓ Cup Green Olives, drained and roughly chopped, Zest of 1 Lemon, 2 ½ tablespoon Lemon Juice, Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- Reserve ½ cup of pasta water, then drain the spaghetti.
- Into the skillet, add the spaghetti, pasta water and vegan parmesan. Cook, using tongs to toss everything together until the sauce clings to the pasta, about 2 minutes.½ Cup Vegan Parmesan
- Remove from heat and top with basil and toss once more.½ Cup Basil, thinly sliced
- Serve and top each plate with plenty of garlic breadcrumbs.