This Gluten Free Lentil Stew only requires 7 minutes in the instant pot and is filled with veggies and potatoes and the finished soup freezes beautifully!
I have been making this soup for years! Soup is a go to for me in the Fall and Winter. I love making my Vegan Vegetable Barley Stew, and my Vegan Acorn Squash and White Bean Stew, but this Gluten Free Instant Pot Lentil soup with potatoes and veggies is definitely the fastest since its done in an instant pot.
Not only is it easy to make, it can also be easily adapted to use what you have on hand. And its full of plant-based protein, fiber and veggies!
Vegetable Stock: For vegetable stock I really like Better Than Boullion. You can make exactly what you need and never have to throw out a half used box of stock!
Vegetables: This this gluten free lentil soup calls for onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, potatoes and frozen peas.
Herbs: I like a combination of dried thyme and a couple of bay leaves.
I have made this Gluten-Free Instant Pot Lentil Stew in a ton of ways over the years.
Instead of zucchini, try about 1 ½ cups of chopped mushrooms or green beans.
Instead of just dried thyme, use an Italian seasoning blend.
This recipe is so easy you will not even believe it.
First, chop all the veggies into about ½" cubes. They don't have to be perfect!
Now, add the lentils, onion, carrot, celery, zucchini and potatoes into the instant pot.
Then, add the herbs, garlic and vegetable stock and give it a stir.
Next, place the lid onto the instant pot and turn it on high pressure for 7 minutes.
Once 7 minutes has elapsed, allow it to naturally release for 10-15 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
Finally, add the frozen peas, stir and serve!
You need an instant pot for this lentil stew recipe.
The 3-quart instant pot will be too small.
Can you freeze lentil soup?
Yes! This gluten free lentil soup freezes beautifully.
To do it, fill any container that has a tight filling lid with the soup, but leave an inch of space at the top- the soup will expand when frozen. Then, just pop into the freezer!
To defrost, place a frozen soup container into the refrigerator the night before you want to use it. Then, place the soup it into a pot or microwave safe bowl and heat.
To Refrigerate the Soup
To refrigerate the soup, portion into containers with airtight lids and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Looking for More Easy Recipes?
Instant Pot Lentil Stew
- 1 6-8 Quart Instant Pot
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 ½ Cups Brown Lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion chopped into ½" pieces
- 2 Large Carrots chopped into ½" pieces
- 2 Ribs Celery chopped into ½" pieces
- 2 Medium Potatoes, Cubed
- 1 Medium Zucchini Chopped into ½" pieces, see note
- 5 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock See note
- 2 Large Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 ½ tsp Dried Thyme Leaves or a couple sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 small Bay Leaves
- Black Pepper to Taste
- ¾ Cup Frozen Peas
- In a 6-Qt or 8-Qt instant pot, combine the lentils, olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, potatoes and zucchini.1 ½ Cups Brown Lentils, picked through and rinsed, 1 Large Onion, 2 Large Carrots, 2 Ribs Celery, 2 Medium Potatoes, Cubed, 1 Medium Zucchini
- Then, add vegetable stock, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and black pepper and stir.5 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock, 2 Large Cloves of Garlic, Minced, 1 ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves, 2 small Bay Leaves, Black Pepper to Taste
- Place the lid onto the instant pot and set it to high pressure for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes has elapsed, turn the instant pot off and let it naturally release for 10-15 minutes. See Note
- After 10-15 minutes, manually release. After the pressure has been released, oped the lid, add the frozen peas and stir. The peas will warm up in a few minutes with the heat of the stew.¾ Cup Frozen Peas
- Let cool a bit before serving. This stays HOT for a while.
Let me know how you like this recipe and if there is anything you want to see me make next!