This Vegan Acorn Squash and White Bean Stew is a quick, simple, vegetarian soup filled with squash, white beans and kale. This is the perfect one pot dinner for Autumn and Winter.
I make soup every single week in the Autumn and Winter and this one has been my favorite lately. Its simple to make, filling and full of hearty and nourishing ingredients.
Olive Oil: Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
Onion: For flavor.
Carrot: Carrot is a soup essential.
Celery: Celery rounds out the mirepoix.
Garlic: 3 large cloves of garlic add a lot of flavor to this soup.
Acorn Squash: I used a whole acorn squash in this vegetarian soup.
Green Beans: Roughly chopped green beans for some extra veggies.
Vegetable Stock: I always use Better Than Boullion for my vegetable stock.
Herbs and Spices: I use thyme, red pepper flake and bay leaves for some subtle herbal flavor.
Kale: For some green veg.
Peas: Frozen peas at the very end.
White Beans: I used white beans here for a little vegan protein in this acorn squash soup.
Any white bean will work in this Vegan Acorn Squash White Bean Stew recipe. Choose northern, navy or cannellini.
But, don't substitute chickpeas. I have made this recipe with chickpeas and their texture doesn't complement the stew.
I recommend acorn squash, but if you substitute for another type of squash, reach for delicata, carnival or -in a pinch- butternut.
To make this Acorn Squash Stew, by sautéing the onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until soft.
Next, add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Then, add the acorn squash, vegetable stock, green beans.
Then, add herbs and spices.
Now, bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are all fork tender.
Finally, add the kale, peas and white beans. Allow the kale to wilt and then its ready to serve!
To store in the refrigerator, ladle the soup into containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
But, this Acorn Squash Stew also freezes beautifully. Ladle the soup into containers and freeze for up to a month.
Looking for More Soup Recipes?
Vegan Tomato Soup by: Healthy Nibbles
Acorn Squash and White Bean Stew
- 1 4-5 Quart Dutch Oven or Large Pot
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, small dice
- 2 Ribs Celery, small dice
- 2 Medium Carrots, small dice
- 3 Large Garlic, Minced
- 4 Cups Acorn Squash, peeled and cubed into about ½" cubes this is 1 small squash
- 5 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 Cups Green Beans, trimmed and cut into bitesized pieces
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cups Chopped Kale
- ½ Cup Peas
- Salt and Plenty of Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 15 oz Can White Beans, drained and rinsed navy, or northern beans are preferred
- Into a 4-5 quart dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.2 tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 Large Onion, small dice, 2 Ribs Celery, small dice, 2 Medium Carrots, small dice
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.3 Large Garlic, Minced
- Add the acorn squash and vegetable stock and stir to combine.4 Cups Acorn Squash, peeled and cubed into about ½" cubes, 5 Cups Vegetable Stock
- Add green beans, thyme, bay leaves, crushed red pepper flake and plenty of black pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer.2 Cups Green Beans, trimmed and cut into bitesized pieces, Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves, 2 Bay Leaves
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the acorn squash is cooked through.
- Add chopped kale, peas and white beans beans. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes more or until the kale has wilted and softened. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.4 Cups Chopped Kale, ½ Cup Peas, 1 15 oz Can White Beans, drained and rinsed, Salt and Plenty of Black Pepper to Taste
- Remove from heat and serve.