This Vegan Irish Soda Bread recipe is super quick, hearty and perfect for soup season! Best of all, there is no yeast or rising time required.
This is another recipe I’ve had on my list for ages. And what better time to tackle it than right now, just before soup season commences? This Vegan Irish Soda Bread recipe is the perfect accompaniment to literally any soup and for toast. Dip it into your favorite stew or serve it with vegan butter and jam. Its really basic and only requires 8 ingredients and just a few minutes to stir together.
Ingredients and Substitutions for Vegan Soda Bread
Okay, like I just said, you’re only 8 ingredients away from a fresh warm loaf of Vegan Irish Soda Bread.
Flour: Just plain old all purpose flour, here. My favorite brand is King Arthur.
Sugar: Its undetectable taste wise in the finished loaf. But, a little bit of sugar helps tenderize this Vegan Soda Bread and promotes browning. Don’t skip it!
Baking Powder and Soda: A combination of baking powder and baking soda yeilds a nice, high, even rise.
Salt: For flavor.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Oil helps to prevent this loaf from becoming tough and dense.
Plant Milk: Use a plain, unsweetened plant milk here. Any variety will do! I have used both soymilk and coconut milk with identical results.
Lemon Juice: Combine lemon juice with the plant milk to create a kind of buttermilk. The acid will activate the baking soda in this vegan soda bread. You can also use plain old white vinegar.
How to Store Irish Soda Bread
This Vegan Soda Bread is at the absolute peak when eaten still warm from the oven. But it is a big loaf and and I can never eat the entire thing in one go.
So, to store, slice the entire loaf and place into an airtight container. The loaf will be great on the counter for 1 day, but for any longer than that, I recommend freezing. This loaf will stay as tasty as the day it was baked for a whole month in the freezer.
To defrost, simply remove the amount of slices you wish and defrost in a toaster!
Looking for Soup Recipes to Serve it with?
Or check out this round up of vegan soups by A Couple Cooks!
Vegan Soda Bread
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Baking Tray1
- 3 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt 3/4 tsp if using finer grain salt
- 1 1/3 Cups Plain Unsweetened Plant Milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 4 tsp Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- In a small bowl or in a pint sized liquid measuring cup, combine plant milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir.
- Add olive oil into the milk and lemon juice mixture and then add the liquids into the dry ingredients.
- Stir until mostly combined (see picture for reference) then lightly flour your work surface and turn the shaggy dough out onto it. Fold the dough a few times just until it comes together. It will be sticky, so flour your hands if you need to!
- Then pat the dough into a ball with a 6" diameter. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, score an X onto the top of the loaf so it has somewhere to rise.
- Place in a 400° F oven for 45 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
- To store, slice the loaf, place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month.