This Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup is creamy, easy to make and full of vegetables and protein. Serve it with a hunk of crusty bread for a cozy Autumn or Winter meal.
Soup season has officially begun and I couldn't be more excited. This Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup has been in my rotation for the last couple of years and I absolutely love it.
Ingredients for Making Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup
Cauliflower: Cauliflower is the main vegetable in this recipe. I use an entire small head here.
Onion: Onion for flavor.
Carrots: Carrots for a bit of sweetness.
Spices: Garlic powder, coriander and cumin for a nice deep flavor.
Olive Oil: For roasting and drizzling.
Red Lentils: Red lentils add to the creaminess and add protein and a nice flavor.
Vegetable Stock: To cook the red lentils and thin the soup out.
How to Make the Soup
This soup is not traditional because it starts with roasting the vegetables.
Roasting vegetables creates a deep and rich flavor profile in this Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup. It evaporates some of the water the vegetables contain while concentrating their flavors.
So first, toss the vegetables with oil and the spices and stick them in the oven to roast.
While the vegetables roast, cook the red lentils with vegetable stock. Red lentils are an amazing pantry staple because they are full of protein and they don't take long to cook.
Then, add the roasted veg and red lentils into a blender and blend until creamy.
Add more stock to thin the soup out to your preference. And pour the soup back into the pot you cooked the red lentils in to heat back up.
And thats it! Time to serve with plenty of crusty bread for dipping.
How to Store
Store this Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Or freeze for up to a month for a quick and delicious freezer meal.
Looking for More Soups?
Acorn Squash and White Bean Stew
Butternut Minestrone by: This First Mess
Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1 4 Quart Sauce Pan
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Blender Or Immersion Blender
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 3 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
- 1 Small Head of Cauliflower, cut into florets about 8 cups of florets
- 2 Medium Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, large dice
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- ½ Cup Red Lentils
- 4-5 Cups Vegetable Stock, divided
- Preheat oven to 375* F
- Place cauliflower, carrot and onion onto an unlined sheet pan. Sprinkle coriander and cumin over the veggies, followed by a pinch of salt and plenty of cracked black pepper. Drizzle the veggies with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss well to coat everything. Roast in a 375* oven for 45 minutes or until the veggies are soft and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, combine lentils and 3 cups of vegetable stock into a 4 quart pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until lentils are completely soft, about 15 minutes.
- Combine roasted veggies and red lentils in your blender with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and 1 additional cup of vegetable stock. Blend until completely smooth, adding the last remaining cup of vegetable stock if you prefer a runnier soup.
- Return to the pot to warm through and serve.
Let me know how you like this recipe!
Leave a Reply