These Vegan Cauliflower Steaks are slathered with garlic butter and roasted in the oven until golden brown, then topped with a quick gremolata. Easy and flavorful!Jump to Recipe
These oven roasted cauliflower steaks are perfect to make during the week! They take only minutes to prep and get into the oven. Then, the oven does the rest of the work. They are tender, flavorful and so simple to make. You will love this recipe!
Cauliflower: A nice big head of cauliflower to cut two steaks from. I'll take you through how to do that below.
Spices: You will need garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Lemon Juice: For balance.
Gremolata: Gremolata is sprinkled on top of the hot cauliflower steaks. Its made of lemon zest, parsley and fresh garlic.
To make these Vegan Cauliflower Steaks:
First, make the garlic butter by melting the vegan butter and adding the spices to it.
Next, brush the garlic butter onto each side of the cauliflower steaks.
Then, place the steaks into the oven and roast for 25 minutes, then flip the streaks using a spatula.
Finally, return the steaks to the oven for another 10 minutes, and thats it. Remove the steaks from the oven and top them with the gremolata.
How to Cut Cauliflower Steaks
To make this vegan cauliflower steaks recipe:
First, wash and pat the head of cauliflower dry.
Then, trim the leaves off.
Next, if the stem/core protrudes, trim it so it is flush with the bottom of the cauliflower. Do not remove the core.
Then, slice the cauliflower in half through the center of the core.
Now, take each half and slice parallel to the core to make about a 1 ½ " cauliflower steak. You will only be able to get two steaks from one cauliflower.
Use the remaining cauliflower in your next stir fry or make some Buffalo Cauliflower Rice Burritos!
What is Gremolata?
Gremolata is an Italian condiment made of parsley, lemon zest and fresh garlic.
Everything is chopped together really finely and its used to sprinkle over finished dishes.
Be sure to sprinkle the gremolata on the hot vegan roasted cauliflower steaks because this will release the flavor.
I added capers which isn't traditional, but I wanted some brininess!
If you have gremolata left over, its great on any roasted veggie and its incredible on avocado toast!
If you don't want to make the gremolata, finish the hot cauliflower steaks with a squeeze of lemon.
What to Serve Cauliflower Steaks With
Serve these vegan cauliflower steaks with:
Roasted or mashed potatoes
White Bean Purée
Grilled Beyond Meat Italian Sausage
Store the finished cauliflower steaks in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Looking for More Cauliflower Recipes?
Vegan Garlic Butter Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Pastry Brush
- 1 Sheet Pan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Spatula
- 2 1.5" Thick Cauliflower Steaks see notes for how to cut
- 3 tablespoon Vegan Butter I used Country Crock Plant Butter
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ¾ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt use less if using table salt.
- Black Pepper
For the Gremolata
- Zest ½ Lemon
- 1 small Clove of garlic
- 1 Cup Parsley Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- Preheat oven to 425* F
- In a small bowl, melt vegan dairy butter. Then, add lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.3 tablespoon Vegan Butter, 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, ¾ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ teaspoon Onion Powder, ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt, Black Pepper
- Place the cauliflower steaks on a baking sheet, then using a brush, coat the cauliflower steaks with all of the garlic butter mixture. Make sure to coat both sides.2 1.5" Thick Cauliflower Steaks
- Roast on the middle rack of a 425* oven for 25 minutes, then use a spatula to flip the steaks over. Then continue roasting for 10-15 minutes longer or until the steaks are brown.
Make the Gremolata
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, make the gremolata. Finely chop the lemon zest, parsley, garlic and capers together and set aside.Zest ½ Lemon, 1 small Clove of garlic, 1 Cup Parsley Leaves, 1 tablespoon Capers
Finish the Cauliflower Steaks
- When the cauliflower is done, remove from the oven, plate, and immediately sprinkle with gremolata. Serve.
Let me know how you liked this recipe and if there is anything you'd like to see me make next!