These Harissa Roasted Potatoes are my favorite roast potato recipe. They are super simple and full of flavor thanks to store bought harissa. They are the perfect side to any meal!
When I first learned about roasted potatoes, I made a lot of them. It was right at the beginning of my falling in love with cooking. I must have seen it on the Food Network, which was the only channel I watched at that time. I would make rosemary roasted potatoes, but with dried rosemary which never really gets soft, so you end up picking rosemary twigs out of your mouth as you eat your roasted potatoes. Not great. While I no longer use (or even purchase) dried rosemary, my love for roasted potatoes lives on. And today I'm sharing a fun and flavorful recipe for Crispy Harissa Roasted Potatoes to show you how my potato roasting has evolved.
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a Moroccan red pepper sauce. It typically contains chilis, bell pepper, olive oil and garlic as well as a variety of spices. Its a great way to add flavor to dishes without needing a lot of different ingredients like in these other EP recipes that feature harissa.
Its spicy from chilis, but not as spicy hot sauce. I prefer medium spiciness and I love Harissa. I love that its not only spicy, but has a lot of flavor, where hot sauce tends to be flat. This is thanks to the bell pepper, garlic and other spices that are typically included in harissa.
For this Harissa Roasted Potatoes recipe, I used this Mina brand of Harissa. I like it because its flavorful and fresh. You can use it as a sauce or even as a dip! There are a lot of harissa brands out there. Just try to get one that is more of a fresh sauce and less of a paste for this recipe. Even Trader Joes has a good one!
Use Yukon Gold Potatoes for the best Harissa Roasted Potatoes
I generally prefer Yukon Gold potatoes over russet potatoes. They mash creamier, the inside is nice and pillowy when roasted, and I love the flavor of them. They are the perfect canvas for harissa in this Harissa Roasted Potatoes recipe. I haven't tried russet potatoes or red potatoes here, but I'm sure they would both work.. Side note- I just found out that Yukon Gold Potatoes weren't even a thing until 1980!
These Crispy Harissa Roasted Potatoes are incredibly flavorful and best of all only require 3 ingredients and minimal prep! They are currently a weekly thing in my house. If these crispy + delicious harissa roast potatoes don't break into your weeknight rotation, I don't know what will.
Looking for More Potato Recipes?
Harissa Roasted Potatoes
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Sheet Pan
- 1 ½ Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾" cubes
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoon Harissa Like the brand Mina, pictured above
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt Less if using iodized or fine grain salt
- Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425* F
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss to coat the potatoes evenly in harissa and oil.
- Transfer potatoes to an unlined baking tray and spread them out into an even layer.
- Bake in a 425* oven for 15 minutes, then turn the pan, without stirring to potatoes and continue baking for another 15 minutes. After the second 15 minutes, stir the potatoes (using a spatula will help get any of the stuck ones) and place back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are nicely browned and tender.
- Serve warm.
Let me know how you like this recipe!