These Vegan Harissa Butter Roasted Cauliflower Steaks are easy to make, super flavorful and are topped with a delicious harissa tahini sauce!
If you are looking for a veggie side dish that I easy to make and has bold flavors, you've found it! These Vegan Harissa Butter Cauliflower Steaks are roasted in harissa butter which makes them super flavorful. Then to kick them up another notch, I drizzle them with a harissa tahini sauce before serving.
Best of all, this recipe only requires about 10 minutes of hands-on time and the oven does the rest of the work.
Cauliflower: You will need a whole head of cauliflower to cut the cauliflower steaks from.
Vegan Butter: I used Country Crock Plant Butter, but I'd also recommend Miyoko's Vegan Butter for this recipe.
Spices: A combination of garlic powder and onion powder for even more flavor.
Lemon Juice: To bring all the flavors out.
Tahini: Tahini is just ground sesame seeds. And when combined with just a couple of other ingredients, it creates the most delicious creamy sauce.
This Harissa Butter Roasted Cauliflower Steak recipe is SO easy! Here's how to make it:
First, combine the melted vegan butter, harissa, onion and garlic powder and salt in a small bowl.
Then, evenly coat the cauliflower steaks with the mixture on all sides.
Now, place the cauliflower in a 425* F oven to roast for 25 minutes.
Next, flip the steaks and continue roasting for 10-15 minutes longer.
Finally, drizzle with harissa tahini sauce and serve!
How to Cut Cauliflower Steaks
You will need to cut cauliflower steaks for this Vegan Harissa Butter Roasted Cauliflower recipe. But don't be intimidated- its easy! Here is how to do it:
First, trim all the leaves from the cauliflower, as well as any core that is sticking out.
Then, slice directly down the center of the core to split the cauliflower in half.
Next, take one half and make another parallel cut to create an approximately 1 ½ inch cauliflower steak.
Repeat with the other side.
Pack up the remaining cauliflower florets for another recipe.
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a chili paste native to Northwestern Africa. Its made of bell peppers, chilis and a combination of spices that vary depending on the region.
It can be used as a condiment or as a flavoring that is cooked into a dish like we are using it in this recipe.
Is Harissa Vegan?
Yes, harissa is almost always vegan. It is typically made with assorted peppers, herbs and spices in oil.
Which Harissa Should You Use?
I recommend using a harissa that is more of a sauce for this harissa butter roasted cauliflower recipe over a thick paste or powder.
I really like the brand Mina. Then have a mild and a spicy version of their harissa.
If you can't find a harissa brand that is more of a sauce consistency, you can make this recipe using a harissa paste or powder.
Use 1 tablespoon of either harissa paste or powder.
Harissa Tahini Sauce
To kick the flavor of these Vegan Harissa Butter Roasted Cauliflower Steaks up another notch, I made a quick and easy Harissa Tahini Sauce.
To make it, combine tahini, lemon juice and harissa and stir. The mixture will be thick.
Then, thin the mixture out with water until its a drizzling consistency.
You can also make this recipe with cauliflower florets instead of cauliflower steaks!
To do it, add about 4 cups of cauliflower florets to a large bowl, then top with the harissa butter.
Toss to coat and pour onto a baking sheet.
Roast for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally.
To store these Vegan Harissa Butter Roasted Cauliflower Steaks, place them in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in a microwave or in a toaster oven.
Looking for More Cauliflower Recipes?
Vegan Harissa Butter Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 Chefs Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 2 Small Bowls
- 2 Spoons
- 2 1 ½ inch Cauliflower Steaks See notes for cutting tips
- 2 tablespoon Plant-Based Butter, melted I used Country Crock Plant Butter
- 3 tablespoon Harissa I like Mina brand, see note
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Kosher Salt use ⅛ teaspoon if using table salt
For the Optional Tahini Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tahini
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Harissa
- 1-2 Tbsp Water
- Pinch Salt
For the Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat oven to 425* F.
- Combine melted plant butter, harissa, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.2 tablespoon Plant-Based Butter, melted, 3 tablespoon Harissa, 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice, ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ teaspoon Onion Powder, ¼ Kosher Salt
- Place the cauliflower steaks on a baking sheet and brush all the harissa butter over the two cauliflower steaks, being sure to get all the crevices.2 1 ½ inch Cauliflower Steaks
- Place the baking sheet in a 425* oven and roast for 25 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the steaks over and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cauliflower steaks are nicely browned.
To make the Tahini Sauce
- While the cauliflower steaks are in the oven, make the harissa tahini sauce. In a small bowl combine tahini, lemon juice and harissa and stir. The mixture will get really thick. Add water, a little bit at a time until you achieve a smooth, creamy sauce. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.2 tablespoon Tahini, 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice, 1 tablespoon Harissa, 1-2 tablespoon Water, Pinch Salt
- Place the cauliflower steaks on a plate and drizzle with harissa tahini sauce. Serve.