This Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread Skillet is tender, moist, dairy-free and eggless! Its also easy to make and bakes up golden and tender.
This recipe is so easy and makes a delicious, jalapeño studded cornbread. Its super light and moist and is the perfect side for so many dishes! I love to serve it with a big pat of non-dairy butter and a little vegan hot honey for extra spice.
I love to make this cornbread, or Vegan Cornmeal Drop Biscuits or even Vegan Irish Soda Bread to have with dinner. They pair so well with my favorite foods from all seasons like soups and stews and grilled foods!
This Vegan Jalapeño o Cornbread Skillet requires just 9 basic ingredients. Here is what you will need:
Cornmeal: I like this brand.
Flour: I always recommend King Arthur brand.
Leaveners: A combination of baking powder and baking soda, here.
Salt: For balance.
Non-Dairy Milk: I used oat, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Lemon Juice: You can't taste this in the final product. It helps to activate the baking soda.
Sugar: Just a bit to bring out the flavor of the corn.
Jalapeño: A whole chopped jalapeño goes into this eggless cornbread skillet.
This Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread Skillet is SO easy to make.
First, mix the non-dairy milk, melted vegan butter, lemon juice and sugar together.
Then, to the bowl, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Next, whisk to combine, add the jalapeños and whisk once more. Set aside so the cornmeal can absorb some of the liquid while the oven heats.
Now, preheat the oven along with the skillet.
Once the oven is preheated, carefully remove the skillet and add butter and swirl it around the pan to coat.
Then, pour the batter into the pan, level it out with a spatula and top with a few more jalapeño slices.
Finally, bake the cornbread!
As written, this eggless vegan jalapeño cornbread recipe is mild to medium spicy, depending on the spice level of your jalapeño.
Add more jalapeño if you like food really spicy.
And leave it out completely if you hate spice!
My Favorite Cast Iron Skillet
I love my Lodge 10" Cast Iron Skillet.
The quality is great and it bakes and cooks evenly.
Top Recipe Tip
Preheating the skillet with the oven is so important! It gives the cornbread a beautiful crust.
If you skip that step, the cornbread will be pale, but will still taste great.
To store this Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread Skillet, cut it into pieces, place in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Or freeze for up to a month.
Looking for More Skillet Baking Recipes?
Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread Skillet
- 1 10" Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 2 Cups Non-Dairy Milk I used oatmilk
- 6 tablespoon Melted Vegan Butter
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice or white vinegar
- 1 ½ Cups Cornmeal see note
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt ½ teaspoon if using table salt
- 1 Large Jalapeño, seeded and chopped into ¼" pieces about ⅓ cup chopped jalapeño
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter (to grease the skillet)
- 8-10 Slices of Jalapeńo (for garnish) optional
- Into a large bowl, combine plant milk, melted vegan butter, sugar, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.2 Cups Non-Dairy Milk, 6 tablespoon Melted Vegan Butter, 1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar, 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Into the bowl, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk, then add the jalapeños. Whisk once more and set the batter aside.1 ½ Cups Cornmeal, 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 1 Large Jalapeño, seeded and chopped into ¼" pieces
- Turn oven on to 425* F. Place a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet into the oven while it is preheating.
- Once the oven is preheated, remove the skillet, add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter and swirl it around to coat the pan.1 tablespoon Vegan Butter (to grease the skillet)
- Immediately pour cornbread batter into the skillet. Use a spatula to even the batter out, then top with sliced jalapenos, if using.8-10 Slices of Jalapeńo (for garnish)
- Place the skillet back into the oven and bake at 425* F for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let me know how this recipe worked for you!