I love a quick baking project. The best thing about biscuits is that they be done from start to in your mouth in 30 minutes. And when they're drop biscuits, there is basically no clean up. Just a bowl. These Fluffy Cornmeal Drop Biscuits are no exception to either of these rules.
But, I have a confession. This recipe wasn't intended to be a recipe on its own. I was testing these biscuits for a part of another recipe that will be coming soon (spoiler alert: its a berry cobbler). But they came out SO good. They're everything I want in a biscuit: tender, light fluffy with a light crisp exterior. So I knew I had to make them into a post all their own.
The addition of cornmeal in these biscuits makes them incredibly flavorful. They sweet corn flavor comes through really well. And the texture of the cornmeal gives is an ever-so-light crunch that is delightful. This is officially my new favorite biscuit recipe.
If you have made biscuits before, this recipe is no different. Start with all the dry ingredients in the bowl. Then cut the cold non-dairy butter in, then add liquid. Thats it!
And as with all biscuits, the main thing you want to watch out for to overworking the dough. To avoid this, when adding the liquid, use folding motions with a rubber spatula and stop as soon as everything is moistened.
The other thing to watch for in this recipe is that you use cornmeal, not polenta or grits. Cornmeal is finer in texture than polenta or grits. Cornmeal will lend a nice and light crunch while polenta or grits will lend an unpleasant tough and gritty crunch. This is the brand of cornmeal I used!
Serve these Fluffy Cornmeal Drop Biscuits either at brunch or to accompany dinner. But always with your favorite non-dairy butter and jam.
Fluffy Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
- 1 ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ⅔ Cup Yellow Cornmeal NOT polenta or grits!
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 8 tablespoon Cold Non-Dairy Butter, cut into cubes I used Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks
- ⅔ Cup Plain Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425* F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small measuring cup, combine plant milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Add non dairy butter cubes into the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into the dries with a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture looks like a coarse meal.
- Pour the plant milk and lemon juice or vinegar mixture into the dry ingredients and fold together with a rubber spatula just until everything is moistened and then stop immediately.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup that has been sprayed with non stick spray, portion biscuits onto the parchment lined sheet tray leaving at least 2 inches of space between each biscuit.
- Bake in a 425* oven for 12-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown across the entire bottom.
- Cool slightly and enjoy while warm. Freeze what you don't eat that day and reheat in the oven or toaster oven for best results.
Let me know how you liked this recipe and if there is anything you'd like to see next!