These Fluffy Vegan Cornmeal Drop Biscuits and are the perfect easy non dairy biscuit recipe. They are fast, easy and bake up super fluffy and tender.
I love a quick baking project. The best thing about biscuits and scones is that they only take about 30 minutes from start to in your mouth. And since this recipe is for drop biscuits, there is basically no cleanup- just a single bowl.
And the addition of cornmeal in these vegan drop biscuits makes them incredibly flavorful. The sweet corn flavor comes through really well. And the texture of the cornmeal gives an ever-so-light crunch to the exterior while the interior stays soft and fluffy. This is officially my new favorite biscuit recipe.
What are Drop Biscuits?
Drop biscuits and regular biscuits are really similar.
The difference is, the dough for drop biscuits has a little more moisture in it. So, the dough can't be rolled out and cut like a regular biscuit.
Instead, you use a spoon, or cookie scoop to "drop" mounds of dough directly onto the cookie sheet and bake them.
These Vegan Fluffy Cornmeal Drop Biscuits only require nine basic ingredients! Here is what you need:
Flour: Regular all-purpose flour, here. I use King Arthur.
Cornmeal: I like this brand. But, just make sure you aren't using corn grits or polenta.
Sugar: There is a tiny amount of sugar in this recipe to bring out the cornmeal flavor.
Vegan Buttermilk: A combination of dairy-free milk and lemon juice or vinegar makes vegan buttermilk!
If you have made biscuits before, this Fluffy Vegan Cornmeal Drop Biscuit recipe is no different.
First, cube the non-dairy butter and prepare the vegan buttermilk. Place both into the refrigerator until it is time to use them.
Then, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and mix to distribute.
Next, cut the cold non-dairy butter into the dry ingredients, using a pastry cutter, a fork, or your fingers until the butter is pea-sized.
Now, add the non-dairy buttermilk and fold together with a spatula just until everything is moist.
Finally, scoop the non-dairy drop biscuits with a measuring cup or large cookie scoop and bake!
Top Recipe Tips
As with all biscuits, the main thing you want to watch out for when making these vegan drop biscuits is overworking the dough.
To avoid this, when adding the liquid, use folding motions with a rubber spatula and stop as soon as everything is moistened.
Also, once the vegan butter is cubed, place it back into the refrigerator until time to us.
Same with the non-dairy buttermilk. You want to keep the ingredients as cold as possible.
Choosing the Right Cornmeal
The other thing to watch for in this recipe is that you use cornmeal, not polenta or grits.
Cornmeal is finer in texture than polenta or grits. Cornmeal will lend a nice and light crunch while polenta or grits will lend an unpleasant tough and gritty crunch.
This is the brand of cornmeal I used!
If these Fluffy Vegan Cornmeal Drop Biscuits are not eaten on the same day they are baked, place them into an airtight container and freeze for up to a month.
I don't recommend storing the biscuits at room temperature.
Looking for More Biscuits and Rolls?
Fluffy Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Small Bowl
- 1 Pastry Cutter or Fork
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- ⅔ Cup Plain Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ⅔ Cup Yellow Cornmeal NOT polenta or grits
- 2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 8 tablespoon Cold Non-Dairy Butter, cut into ¼" cubes I used Country Crock Plant Butter Sticks
- Preheat oven to 400* F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine plant milk and lemon juice. Place into the refrigerator until ready to use.⅔ Cup Plain Unsweetened Plant Milk, 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.1 ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour, ⅔ Cup Yellow Cornmeal, 2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Add non-dairy butter cubes to the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter, a fork or using your fingers until the butter is the size of small peas.8 tablespoon Cold Non-Dairy Butter, cut into ¼" cubes
- Pour the non-dairy milk mixture into the dry ingredients and fold together with a rubber spatula until everything is moistened and then stop immediately.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup that has been sprayed with non stick spray, portion biscuits onto the parchment lined sheet tray leaving at least 2 inches of space between each biscuit.
- Bake in a 400* oven for 16-19 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown across the entire bottom.
- Cool slightly and enjoy while warm. Freeze what you don't eat that day.
Let me know how you liked this recipe and if there is anything you'd like to see next!