This Vegan Deep Dish Skillet Cookie is is eggless, easy to make and a definite crowd pleaser. Top with vegan ice cream for a super decadent dessert.
Cookies are my absolute favorite dessert to eat. But when making a dessert for a crowd I typically end up making a cake because they're a showstopper. But this Vegan Cookie Skillet transforms humble cookies into a gorgeous, decadent dessert, perfect for any occasion, with no cake decorating skills required.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Cookie Skillet
Vegan Butter: As always I use Soy-Free Earth Balance. Use whatever non-dairy butter you prefer here, but thats my top recommendation.
Sugar: For sweetness and structure.
Molasses: I don't but brown sugar because its a combination of white sugar and molasses and I always have both. If you don't have molasses, you can substitute brown sugar for all of the white sugar, here.
Flax Egg: A flax egg is a combination of ground flax and water. It acts as a binder in this recipe, kind of how a regular egg would. But since this skillet cookie is vegan and eggless, flax egg it is!
Vanilla: Vanilla acts as a background flavor.
Flour: Regular old AP flour, here. I always use King Arthur. Its pretty local to my area and the quality is amazing.
Baking Powder and Baking Soda: To leaven the cookie skillet.
Salt: For balance.
Chocolate: I used a combination of chopped chocolate and chocolate chips here. You can use all chocolate chips or all chopped chocolate or a combo. Its just personal preference.
How to Make the Skillet Cookie
This Vegan Skillet Cookie recipe is made exactly how regular cookies are made, we just bake it differently.
Start by creaming the non dairy butter, sugar and molasses together. I used a bowl with a spatula, but you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer if you prefer.
Then, add the flax egg and vanilla to the mix.
Next, add the dry ingredients. This cookie dough is THICK so this will take some elbow grease if you're using a bowl and spatula.
Finally, add the chocolate chunks or chips.
Press the entire dough into a cast iron skillet and bake until the edges are golden.
I recommend serving this warm with vegan ice cream.
How to Store the Cookie Skillet
I don't recommend keeping this Vegan Deep Dish Cookie Skillet around for long. But, I don't really think you will need to worry about that.
To store, wrap the skillet tightly with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for up to two days.
Looking for More Crowd Pleasing Desserts?
Vegan Seven Layer Bars by: Nora Cooks
Vegan Skillet Cookie
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Spatula
- 1 9-10 Inch Cast Iron Skillet
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 5 tablespoon Water
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter I used Soy-Free Earth Balance
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt ½ teaspoon if using table salt
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 ¼ Cups Chopped Chocolate or Chocolate Chips I used a combo
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Grease a 9"-10" cast iron skillet with oil.
- In a small bowl, combine ground flax, water and vanilla. Stir and set aside.2 tablespoon Ground Flax Seed, 5 tablespoon Water, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, combine non dairy butter, sugar and molasses.8 tablespoon Non-Dairy Butter, 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- Cream the butter and brown sugar with a spatula or wooden spoon until well combined and fluffy.
- Into the creamed non dairy butter and sugar, add the flax egg.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until just combined.2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour, ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Add chocolate chunks or chips and stir to distribute.1 ¼ Cups Chopped Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared cast iron pan.
- Press the dough into the pan evenly.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 22-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve.