Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies with Coconut Oil are easy to make, and incredibly softy and chewy. I promise these dairy-free chocolate chip cookies will please ANY cookie lover. And they can be frozen before or after baking so you can always have some cookies on hand.
Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite dessert. Not only are they warm, chewy and filled with chocolate chips, but they are also so nostalgic for me. My mom always had homemade chocolate chip cookies around the kitchen. They were the first thing I learned how to bake and clearly I never stopped baking.
How Do You Make Chocolate Chip Cookies?
These Chocolate Chip Cookies with Coconut Oil are so simple to make with just a bowl and a spoon. You can also use a stand mixer if you wish! These cookies are ready to bake in just a few simple steps.
Cookies almost always use the creaming method which is a mixing technique where you first mix the fat and sugar together until its nice and airy. And since we're making dairy free and vegan chocolate chip cookies, these are made with coconut oil rather than butter.
So, with that in mind, start by creaming the coconut oil and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Then add the flax eggs and mix.
Follow that by the dry ingredients.
And finally, add the chocolate chips!
And THATS IT. Now youre ready to scoop and bake.
Can Cookies be Frozen?
These Chocolate Chip Cookies with Coconut Oil can be frozen before or after they are baked.
To freeze these Chocolate Chip Cookies with Coconut Oil before they are baked, simply scoop the dough onto a parchment lined tray and freeze. When the cookies are frozen, remove them from the tray and place them into a plastic bag and into the freezer.
When you are ready to bake, simply take a few dough balls out and allow them to thaw for about 20 minutes before baking.
To freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies after they are baked, simply toss the baked cookies into a plastic bag and place them in the freezer. When you're ready to eat, allow the cookie to thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes, then eat! Or place it in the microwave for about 10 second if you want a warm and gooey cookie.
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Coconut Oil
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Baking Sheet
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil, room temperature See note!
- 1 ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Molasses not blackstrap
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax
- 6 tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt ½ teaspoon if using fine grain salt
- 1 ¼ Cups Chocolate Chips I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips
- Flakey Sea Salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a small bowl, combine flax, water and vanilla. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large with with a wooden spoon or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream coconut oil, sugar and molasses until well combined, scraping the bowl down as necessary.
- Add the flax mixture and stir until well combined.
- Next, add flour, baking soda and salt and stir until everything is just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to distribute.
- Using a greased ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop 6 cookie dough mounds evenly spaced onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Don't flatten them at all!
- Sprinkle with flakey sea salt if you wish and bake in a 350* oven for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies start to set around the edge.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze up to a month.