This Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Cake is super moist and chocolatey surprisingly easy to make! Chocolate cake is layered with fudgy chocolate ganache and strawberries and topped with chocolate whipped cream for a decadent and delicious cake!
I love strawberry desserts and somehow, until today, I didn't have a chocolate strawberry dessert. I have delicious and tender Vegan Strawberry and Cream Cupcakes, and Vegan Strawberry Crunch Cake and even super chewy Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies, but no strawberry chocolate recipes!
So, today I'm here to fix that with this super decadent Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Cake.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This recipe is so delicious and I cannot wait for you to try it. Here is why I think you'll love it:
- This recipe is surprisingly simple to make! It looks hard, but its perfect for beginners.
- It uses basic ingredients.
- The cake is super chocolatey and moist.
- And the ganache fudge filling is rich and decadent.
- This Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Cake is as delicious as it is beautiful!
Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder: I like Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder.
Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chips are melted with water to create a simple and decadent fudge filling for this chocolate strawberry cake.
Strawberries: You will need a whole quart of strawberries for this recipe!
Vegan Heavy Whipping Cream: The top of this cake is a simple chocolate whipped cream. My favorite brand of vegan heavy whipping cream is Silk.
You will need a hand mixer or a stand mixer to whip the whipped cream and to whip the fudge filling for this recipe.
About the Whipped Fudge Filling
The fudge filling for this Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Cake is a whipped ganache.
First, the ganache is whisked together, then allowed to set in the refrigerator. It will feel firm like fudge at this point.
Then, once it is set, whip it up with a hand mixer to make it a smooth and creamy fudge filling!
Step 1. Make the vegan chocolate cake by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
Step 2. Add the wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
Step 3. Divide the batter between 2 8-inch cake pans.
Step 4. And bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before proceeding.
Step 5. Add chocolate chips to a large bowl. Pour hot water over the chocolate chips and allow them to melt for 2 minutes.
Step 6. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and glossy, then place in the refrigerator until set- about 45 minutes.
Step 7. Use a hand mixer to whip the fudge mixture just until it is spreadable.
Step 8. Make the vegan chocolate whipped cream by whipping together vegan cream with cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
Step 9. Place a cake layer upside down onto a cake stand and line the perimeter with halved strawberries.
Step 10. Add the chocolate fudge filling into the middle of the strawberries and gently spread out. Then, top the chocolate fudge filling with chopped strawberries.
Step 11. Top with the remaining layer of chocolate cake.
Step 12. Then, top the Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Cake with the chocolate whipped cream and strawberries.
Cover the cake and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Bake the chocolate cake layer and allow them to cool. Then, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and freeze them for up to a month. Then, on the day you want to serve the cake, make the ganache and whipped cream and put it all together.
My favorite vegan heavy whipping cream is Silk!
How to Cut the Strawberries
Since strawberries are all different sizes, you may find you need more or less than I did to create the perimeter of the cake.
Cut the tops off of 5 strawberries, then cut them in half and test how far you get before cutting more.
Expert Tips and Tricks
Serve this cake cold from the refrigerator.
To slice this Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Cake, run your knife under hot water and wipe it dry right before cutting. This will help cleanly cut through the fudge layer.
Looking for More Vegan Cake Recipes?
If you tried this Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Cake recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Fudge Cake
- 4 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- 2 8" Round Cake Pans
- 1 Hand Mixer for the whipped cream!
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Parchment Paper
For the Chocolate Cake Layers
- 1 ½ Cups Non-Dairy Milk
- 6 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Instant Espresso Powder
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
For the Fudge Filling
- 1 ¼ Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips This should be 8 ounces
- 6 tablespoon Hot Water
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 Cup Vegan Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoon Cocoa Powder, sifted
To Build The Cake
- 6-7 Medium Strawberries, top sliced off and sliced in half
- 3 Medium Strawberries, chopped
- 5-6 Medium Strawberries, for the top of the cake
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans and insert parchment circles into the bottom of the pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine non-dairy milk, canola oil, instant espresso, vinegar and vanilla. Whisk well and set aside.1 ½ Cups Non-Dairy Milk, 6 tablespoon Canola Oil, 1 ½ teaspoon Instant Espresso Powder, 1 teaspoon White Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour, 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar, ½ Cup Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder, 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. If you are weighing the batter, it will be about 16 oz per pan. Then, use a spatula to level the batter out.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 21-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool completely before decorating.
To Make the Fudge Filling
- While the cake is in the oven, add chocolate chips to a large bowl. Then, heat some water until just below boiling. Then, pour 6 tablespoons of hot water over the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to melt for 2 minutes.1 ¼ Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, 6 tablespoon Hot Water
- Whisk the mixture until smooth and glossy. Then cover and place in the refrigerator until set, about 45 minutes to an hour. It should feel firm to the touch- like fudge!
- Use a hand mixer to whip the fudge mixture to make it creamy and spreadable.
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Once the cake has cooled, make the whipped cream. Add the vegan heavy cream to a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip the cream to soft peaks, then add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and continue whipping the cream until stiff peaks are achieved.1 Cup Vegan Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 tablespoon Powdered Sugar, sifted, 2 teaspoon Cocoa Powder, sifted
Build the Cake
- Place a chocolate cake layer upside down onto a cake stand. Line the perimeter of the cake with the halved strawberries, with the pointy end toward the middle of the cake.6-7 Medium Strawberries, top sliced off and sliced in half
- Fill the center of the strawberries with the fudge filling, then add the chopped strawberries on top of it. Place the second cake layer upside down, on top.3 Medium Strawberries, chopped
- Top the cake with the chocolate whipped cream and decorate with as many strawberries as you like!5-6 Medium Strawberries, for the top of the cake