This Vegan Blueberry Jam Layer Cake recipe is composed of soft vanilla cake layers, fluffy vanilla buttercream and plenty of blueberry jam or jelly.
This Blueberry Jam cake recipe is perfect for any celebration. The vanilla cake layers are soft and moist, the buttercream is light and fluffy and the jam makes it extra special.
To make the cake layers, you will just need 9 basic ingredients:
Flour: Regular all purpose flour here.
Leaveners: A combination of baking powder and baking soda to keep this cake light and fluffy.
Salt: For balance.
Sugar: Sugar sweetens and keeps the cake moist.
Non-Dairy Milk: I used Oat Milk, but any plain non dairy milk will work.
Canola Oil: For moisture.
Lemon Juice: To activate the baking soda.
Vanilla Extract: For flavor.
To mix the cake batter:
First, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Next, combine the wet ingredients in another bowl.
Then, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to form a batter.
Next, portion the batter into prepared cake pans and bake!
How to Stack the Cake
To stack the Vegan Blueberry Jam layer cake:
First, place a cake layer upside down on a cake stand or cake board.
Then, use a piping bag fitted with a round tip to pipe vanilla frosting around the edge of the cake.
Next, pipe two more circles leaving about ¾" between each buttercream circle.
You should have 3 concentric circles of buttercream.
Now, take a piping bag filled with blueberry jam or jelly and fill the space in between the cake with it.
Finally, top with another upside down cake layer and repeat!
2 Piping Bags: You can get away with just one piping bag for the frosting. The jam doesn't need a piping tip so you can pipe it from a Ziploc bag if you need to.
Piping Tip: A large round cake tip is optional. But, it will make it way easier to pipe the concentric circles of buttercream.
Cake Stand or Cake Board: You will need somewhere to stack the cake.
Stand Mixer: You only need a stand mixer if you plan to make your own Vegan Vanilla Buttercream.
Top Recipe Tip
I recommend freezing the cake layers for an hour before stacking them.
This will make the cake more sturdy and easier to decorate if you are a beginner.
Cake Size Options
This vegan blueberry jam cake recipe will make three 6" cake layers.
Or two 8" cake layers.
To store the cake layers: Wrap each layer individually with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
To store the decorated cake: Store in a cake box or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I don't recommend freezing the decorated cake.
Looking for More Vegan Layer Cakes?
Funfetti Cake (Vegan!)
Vegan Birthday Cake by: The Pretty Bee
Vegan Blueberry Jam Cake
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Spatula
- 3 6" Cake Pans OR 2 8" Cake Pans
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 2 Piping Bags
- 1 Large Round Pastry Tip optional
- 1 Cake Stand or Cake Board
- 1 Offset Spatula
- Parchment Paper
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Non Dairy Milk
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Canola Oil
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Frost and Decorate
- 1 Cup Blueberry Jam or Jelly
- 1 ½ Recipes Vegan Vanilla Frosting or 4 cups of store bought frosting
- 1 Cup Blueberries
To Bake the Cakes
- Prepare either 3 6" cake pans or 2 8" cake pans by greasing them well and inserting parchment circles into the bottom of the pans.
- Preheat Oven to 375* F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- In a large bowl, combine non dairy milk, sugar, canola oil, lemon juice and salt. Whisk well.1 Cup Non Dairy Milk, 1 Cup Granulated Sugar, ⅓ Cup Canola Oil, 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to form the batter.
- Divide the batter into prepared cake pans and spread evenly to the edges.
- Bake in a 375*F oven for 16-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then line a baking sheet with parchment and turn the cakes out onto the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet with the cakes on it into the freezer to chill for 1 hour.
To Stack and Decorate the Cake
- Fit one piping bag with a large round pastry tip. Fill the bag half way with vanilla frosting.1 ½ Recipes Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- Fill the other piping bag with blueberry jam.1 Cup Blueberry Jam or Jelly
- Remove the cakes from the freezer and place one cake upside down on your cake board or cake stand.
- Use the vanilla buttercream to pipe a circle around the edge of the cake all the way around. Then pipe another circle leaving about ¾ inch of space between the two. Then pipe one more small circle in the middle, again leaving about ¾ inch of space. See photos above for reference.
- Now, pipe the blueberry jam into the spaces between the frosting. You may not use all of the jam, and thats okay!
- Place another cake layer on top upside down.
- Frost the exterior of the cake with vanilla frosting using an offset spatula or a spoon or knife.
- Top with blueberries and serve.1 Cup Blueberries