This Vegan Funfetti Cake is completely eggless but bakes up soft and moist. It makes the best egg and dairy free vegan birthday cake recipe for anyone! And I cover where to get my favorite vegan sprinkles.
This cake is soft, full of sprinkles and vanilla flavor. This is the PERFECT cake for any celebration, but personally I think the sprinkles scream vegan birthday cake. This cake is super easy to make, right in one bowl with basic ingredients.
Some of you may be really surprised at how basic the ingredients in this egg and dairy free cake recipe are. Here is what you will need:
Flour: Regular old all purpose flour here. My favorite brand is King Arthur.
Leaveners: I like to use a combination of baking powder and baking soda for an even and higher rise.
Salt: I always use kosher salt in baking. If using tabe salt, halve the amount.
Granulated Sugar: Sugar is crucial in baked goods. Not only does it add sweetness, but it provides structure and promotes browning!
Non Dairy Milk: This adds moisture and helps the vegan funfetti cake stay moist. My top pick for all baking is So Delicious Coconut Milk, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Lemon Juice or Vinegar: To activate the baking soda.
Canola Oil: Using oil instead of a butter substitute lets this cake rise higher and stay softer.
Vanilla: This egg and dairy free cake gets its flavor from a BIG hit of vanilla.
Sprinkles: This wouldn't be a Vegan Funfetti Cake without sprinkles!
This cake is super easy to make.
First, combine sugar, non-dairy milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl with a whisk.
Next, add the dry ingredients into a sifter and sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then whisk.
Then divide the cake into cake pans and bake!
Are Sprinkles Vegan?
Speaking of sprinkles, not all sprinkles are vegan! Most brands make a few vegan varieties, though. But typically rainbow sprinkles are NOT vegan.
My favorite brand of sprinkles is Fancy Sprinkles. They have a whole page that will show you only their certified vegan products so you have to do no guesswork or investigative work.
For this Vegan Funfetti Cake recipe I used Fancy's Vegan Rainbow Sprinkles and they're absolutely gorgeous.
Another note about sprinkles: Don't use all natural sprinkles for this recipe. Natural food colorings oxidize when exposed to heat, so they will all turn yellow or green/brown when baked!
Cake Size Options
I baked this eggless and dairy free funfetti cake in 3 6" cake pans.
Or, you can divide the cake batter into 2 8" cake pans.
Or if you don't want to stack cake layers, bake it in a 9x9 square pan.
Looking for Vegan Frostings?
Make this Vegan Funfetti cake for your next birthday celebration! Its soft, moist, fun and DELICIOUS. Its sure to please vegans and non vegans, alike.
Vegan Funfetti Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- 3 6" Cake Pans or see other sizing options above
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 14 tablespoon Coconut Milk This is ¾ Cup + 2 Tbsp
- 6 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles
- 1 ½ Recipes Vegan Vanilla Frosting (linked below) 3 cups of store bought frosting
- 1 Cup Rainbow Sprinkles
- First prepare your cake pans. Use either 3 6" pans or 2 8" pans. Cut parchment circles to the bottom of the pans. Grease the pans and place the parchment circles at the bottom of each pan.
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar, oil, milk, lemon or vinegar and vanilla. Whisk well.1 Cup Granulated Sugar, 14 tablespoon Coconut Milk, 6 tablespoon Canola Oil, 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract, 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- Fit a sifter on top of the bowl with the wet ingredients careful not to allow the sifter to touch the wet ingredients.
- Into the sifter, add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Whisk until just combined. Then, add sprinkles and whisk once more to distribute.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt, ¼ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles
- Divide batter between the cake pans- into either 3 6" cake layers or 2 8" cake layers.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Place one cake layer upside down on a cake plate or cake board. Add ½ cup of vanilla frosting on top and spread it to the edges. Top with another cake layer and repeat.1 ½ Recipes Vegan Vanilla Frosting (linked below)
- Frost the outside of the cake with vanilla frosting.
- Add as many rainbow sprinkles to the outside of the cake as you like and serve!1 Cup Rainbow Sprinkles