This Vegan Funfetti Cake is completely eggless but bakes up soft and moist. It makes the best egg and dairy free vegan birthday cake recipe for anyone! And I cover where to get my favorite vegan sprinkles.
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
This Vegan Funfetti Cake is soft, full of sprinkles and vanilla flavor. This is the PERFECT cake for any celebration, but personally I think the sprinkles scream vegan birthday cake. This cake is super easy to make, right in one bowl with basic ingredients.
Ingredients for Making Vegan Cake
Some of you may be really surprised at how basic the ingredients in this egg and dairy free cake recipe are. Vegan cakes use pretty much the same ingredients as regular cake. The only recipe difference is that this funfetti cake is eggless.
Here is the ingredient breakdown of what I use to make a fluffy and moist Vegan Funfetti Cake.
All Purpose Flour: This is pretty self explanatory-- without flour there would be no cake! My favorite brand is King Arthur.
Leavener: I like to use a combination of baking powder and baking soda for an even and higher rise.
Granulated Sugar: Sugar is crucial in baked goods. Not only does it add sweetness, but it provides structure and promotes browning!
Non Dairy Milk: This adds moisture and helps the vegan funfetti cake stay moist. My top pick for all baking is So Delicious Coconut Milk
Lemon Juice or Vinegar: Baking soda needs an acidic element to activate. So, while you wont be able to taste the lemon or vinegar, its a crucial ingredient to produce a tender and fluffy cake!
Canola Oil: This can be substituted with any neutral vegetable oil like grape seed oil or a vegetable oil blend. Using oil instead of a butter substitute lets this cake rise higher and stay softer.
Vanilla: This egg and dairy free cake gets its flavor from a BIG hit of vanilla. Vanilla adds warmth and richness.
Sprinkles: This wouldn't be a Vegan Funfetti Cake without sprinkles!
Are Sprinkles Vegan?
Speaking of sprinkles, not all sprinkles are vegan! Most brands make a few vegan varieties, though. But typically rainbow sprinkles are NOT vegan. This can be because of a couple of reasons:
First, more red food coloring is red 40. And red 40 is a food coloring derived from beetles.
Second, is most sprinkles are glazed with "confectioners glaze". Confectioners glaze CAN be vegan, but also can be another bug byproduct. So, if the company doesn't specify that the sprinkles are vegan, you may need to contact the company to see in their confectioners gaze is vegan.
Thats why I love Fancy Sprinkles so much. They have a whole page that will show you only their certified vegan products so you have to do no guesswork or investigative work. For this Vegan Funfetti Cake recipe I used Fancy's Vegan Rainbow Sprinkles and they're absolutely gorgeous.
Another note about sprinkles: Don't use all natural sprinkles for this recipe. Natural food colorings oxidize when exposed to heat, so they will all turn yellow or green/brown when baked!
Looking for Vegan Frostings?
Make this Vegan Funfetti cake for your next birthday celebration! Its soft, moist, fun and DELICIOUS. Its sure to please vegans and non vegans, alike.
Vegan Funfetti Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- Cake Pans
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 14 tablespoon Coconut Milk This is ¾ Cup + 2 Tbsp
- 6 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles
- First prepare your cake pans. Use either 3 6" pans or 2 8" pans. Cut parchment circles to the bottom of the pans. Grease the pans and place the parchment circles at the bottom of each pan.
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar, oil, milk, lemon or vinegar and vanilla. Whisk well.
- Fit a sifter on top of the bow with the wet ingredients careful not to allow the sifter to touch the wet ingredients.
- Into the sifter, add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Whisk until just combined. Then, add sprinkles and whisk once more to distribute.
- Divide batter between the cake pans- into either 3 6" cake layers or 2 8" cake layers.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.